Brian {Hamilton Kelly}

On Wednesday, in article
ws.net
"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
in use today). Its safety speaks for itself when compared
to other systems in the world. I won't pretend it has no
issues or it could not be improved -- there have been a
number of improvements through its nearly 60 year life.

When was it universally adopted? I think the 1960s. Rings are "not"
mandatory. Many are going to radials as rings create magnetic fields around
a house. Many people are susceptible to this. Radials avoid the problem

The first ring mains date back to ca.1947, when the Wylex (?) plugs were
introduced: a central round earth pin, with the phase & neutral pins
being rectangular, in the horizontal plane slightly above the centre of
the earth pin.

By the early 1950s, ring mains and our present-day familiar 13A plugs
were standard (and mandated?) for all new construction.

--
Brian {Hamilton Kelly}

"I don't think you're in the top class when it comes to thinking
- I suspect I could wade through the depths of your mind and not
wet my ankles." Peter Thomas, in news:uk.telecom 24-Jul-2005