Dave Plowman (News)

In article s.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
1946 supplement to the 11th Edition Wiring Regs was when it was
officially sanctioned, but people had started using ring circuits
beforehand. Installation was universal by 1950, except in towns
which didn't yet have a 200-250V AC mains supply (13A sockets
were not allowed on DC supplies or AC supplies with no neutral).

I read DD as meaning that the BS1363 plug was not universally adopted
until the 1960s.

Some were still extending or modifying the old 5/15 amp radials later than
that.

As for radials, they are still being installed, they just have either
a FCU or BS1363 socket at the end, as of the date of sanction /
implication, the date is most telling - being a time of shortage,
final ring circuits using less raw material than radials circuits....

You might well use radials where a known load is being imposed - like say
in a workshop. That makes sense.

In domestic premises, the actual load can only be guessed at, and rings
are ideal for the myriad of low current appliances found in the average
house today. With the proviso of a separate ring or indeed rings where
heavy fixed loads are likely to be like the kitchen and utility room.

--
*How can I miss you if you won't go away?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.