I don't know where the logical place in this thread is to put this post
so I will just respond to myself. I want to thank Grant, Nick, Harold,
Bruce, Trains4, jw, Mike and anyone else I missed for showing me the
error of my "ways." No pun intended. I now better understand the
issue of indicating for flatness. The bulk of the responses concerned
the flatness issue, but I had other questions about grinding technique.
If anyone would like to "way" in on these, it would be appreciated.

I had another thought about determining flatness that I will run by
this august group. I am not sure about the practicality of the setup
so don't comment on it. What I would like to know is if anyone sees
any fault in the logic.

Say that I set a surface plate next to the surface grinder table. The
surface plate would be mounted on three toolmaker jacks placed in as
large a triangle as possible. I then mark three dots on the surface
grinder table, again placed in as large a triangle as possible. I
attach an indicator to a surface gage type base. The base of the
indicator would rest on the surface plate with the indicator point
alternately placed on the three dots on the surface grinder table. The
jacks under the surface plate would be adjusted until the indicator
reading is the same for all three dots. I believe this should make the
plane in which the three dots lie parallel to the plane of the surface
plate. I could then slide the surface gage with indicator around the
surface plate to take readings over the entire surface of the surface
grinder table. I believe that this would show the relative "flatness"
of the surface grinder table in respect to the plane of the three base
dots.

Comments?