Mike Henry

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Mike Henry wrote:

Is it really necessary to grind the table perfectly flat before tackling
the mag chuck?

I also have a KO Lee grinder (S714) and have only been planning to dress
the top surface of the chuck. Gotta resolve a scalloping problem first,
though, and that's long overdue.

Before you grind in a chuck, make sure the table is free of burrs and
clean it meticulously, then put the chuck on UPSIDE DOWN and take a
cleanup pass over the bottom, and THEN turn it right side up and loosely
bolt it down. Then get out your dial indicator and set the long fence on
the mag chuck so it sticks above the rear edge of the chuck, and indicate
on the fence and adjust the position until the chuck is oriented correctly
and where you want it, and only then should you grind in the top face.

Quoting from memory from a KO Lee book I have somewhere -- GWE

In this case the used grinder came to me with the chuck already installed
and it looks to have been that way for many years. I'm inclined to chance
just dressing the top as is. Maybe that's hour wise and days foolish,
though, from a time of use standpoint.