Mike Henry

Guess I'll have to dig up the MTR book and see what other useful info it has
on surface grinders.

Interesting suggestion about torquing down the chuck.

The feed rate you suggest correlates with my very limited experience -
faster rates seemed to give a better finish.

BTW, no one's mentioned the 5-block test yet so far as I can see. Place 5
blocks on the chuck, 4 at the corners and one at the center, grind the top
and bottoms of them, and then measure each. I think that K. O. Lee
recommends that in some literature I have but the user community seems to
have varying opinions of the usefulness of the test.

Mike

wrote in message
oups.com...
In Machine Tool Reconditioning the process is to grind the table and
then the chuck. I would perform my to date controversial test and see
if your table is flat. My table definitely had some low spots. I
think that anything you clamp to a out of flat surface moves some
minute amount. I was amazed when I got an indicator that measures to
.00001" how little force it takes on a thick table top to get
significant movement. Beyond this I am totally unqualified to tell you
what to do.

I did get some good information from K.O. Lee about mounting a magnetic
chuck that may be useful to you. I think most people including me
clamp them down too tightly. You incrementally tighten both ends up to
10 ft-lbs and then tighten one end to 15 ft-lbs. This allows the chuck
to grow in one direction as it warms up.

In regard to "quickly" that is the instruction I got from K.O. Lee. I
recognize its relative uselessness. I think all you can gain from this
is that slow is not good. One of my books has a procedure on chuck
grinding and it states to use "a fairly rapid table speed (50 to 100
sfpm)." To make it easy use 60 sfpm. To achieve this you should cover
a 12" magnetic chuck in 1 second. If you are hand cranking this is
really moving. Hope this helps. I am finding that grinding seems to
be as much art as confirmed procedure.