Dave Hinz

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:15:19 -0400, Lee Michaels wrote:
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

In the basement of the main house at this farm, is an oak beam that has
been dendochronologically dated to the 10th century, and the notches
show that it was used in a structure previous to the current one which
dates to the 1300s. Even 700 years ago people were re-using timbers.

I may be a historical heretic here, but I just have to wonder.
How much would that beam fetch on e-bay?

Well, given that you'd have to disassemble a house to get at it, it's
probably not negotiable.

And how easy would it be to work with hand or power tools?

It's like knocking on a piece of solid iron. I would imagine the grain
is very tight, but couldn't see any.

How well would it finish?

It has a loverly nearly black, but visible grain and figure look. Easy
to replicate if you have 1000 years to do it, I suppose.

It's amazing that here, a house that's 150 years old is notable. There,
there are buildings that sat _empty_ for that long that have been put
back into use. After the black plague of (1660s some time), many of the
farms sat empty for a century or more - if you ever meet someone with
the last name of "Odegard", then at some point their ancestors took over
one of those farms whose name had been forgotten, so they were re-named
"old farm".

Next time I'm over there, I'll take some pictures of the woodwork and
paintings if the owners are OK with it. The site has been in use for a
_long_ time - they even have a stone axe that was found on-site...well,
the head, the handle is gone but was made of wood.