The indicator base was placed on the column in order to eliminate any
possible movement of the wheelhead. The measurement does therefore
confirm the flatness of the table which translates into the
straightness of the ways.

Actually, it doesn't. It just means that the distance is
repeatable at that point. You're still using the ways to
generate your measurement, so if your ways deviate you're
not seeing it.

I can't suggest a better method, mind you, unless it's to
use a surface plate calibration tool. I'm not sure if
that's a more useful measurement or not, but it would be a
better way to measure what you're _claiming_ to measure.
Personally, I think whether or not it grinds to a consistent
depth would be more useful... and this is what you're
measuring.

Perhaps someone else can improve upon my insight here...

--Glenn Lyford