The indicator base was placed on the column in order to eliminate any
possible movement of the wheelhead. The measurement does therefore
confirm the flatness of the table which translates into the
straightness of the ways. The variances that I provided are
specifically for the table surface. Not coincidentally the variance
allowed for the ways is identical to that allowed for the table.
Checking the ways is a substantially more difficult process that
requires some significantly sized inspection equipment.

Although I assumed that I properly sparked out the surface, I probably
should take additional passes.

Do you have a manual or hydraulic feed machine? If it is manual, do
you take a larger crossfeed when sparking out?