John B wrote:
...)
G'day all,
I place the Wreck in the same category as as someone visiting me down
the shed. Just because we're in a place where mostly woodworking is done
does not mean that we can only talk woodworking. The chances are that
out interests are some what common and we will strike upon a topic to
yarn about that we both enjoy, be it a discussion, an argument or just
bull****. The chances are that woodworking bought us together and so
does the Wreck.

Therein lies the problem. Too many people regard rec.woowdorking
as _their_ shed, not recognizing that it is a communal resource.

Further, the shop is not rec.woodworking, it is usenet. There are
enough newsgroups that their is no excuse for starting an off-
topic thread in any of them, that includes rec.woodworking.
Rec.woodworking is ony one small room in the shop. Starting
a thread about global change in rec.woowdorking is like walking
into the paint booth with your belt sander saying:

1) Don't mind me, I'll only do a little sanding.

or

2) I'm not the only one who sands in here.

or

3) I'm don't know the guys in the sanding room so I'm going
sand in here.

or

4) If you don't want to sand, just ignore me.

or

5) You're a jerk just leave me alone.

The other analogy, when it comes to OT posts, is the local pub. You join
in conversations you want to and are interested in and ignore the
others, as does everyone else. Therefore there are numerous
conversations, discussions and arguments all going on at the same time
and in the same room.

Here the room is analagous to UseNet and each conversation to
indivivual newsgroups. Suppose you're at the pub and there is
one group talking woodworking and another talking global climate
change. If you poke your nose into the woodworlking group to
talk global climate change how could you possible be upset if
someone there asks to go talk to the other group?

Besides, barrooms are inherantly anarchist, whereas UseNet must
be structured or it becomes unusuable.

out of joint, ignore the
fools in your eyes and let live.
I'm not pointing the finger here, just that the thread sought of leant
itself to this reply.
All the best

FF