Tom Watson

Default Why Not To Hang Out On The Wreck

I received a communication from a WreckFriend of mine today.

A thinking man, a judicious man, a decent wooddorker.

He said that he would no longer be a cohabitant of the Wreck.

This was disturbing to me and I thought to parse its particulars.

He states that the Wreck is lacking in, " both wisdom and wit."

I suppose that I would have to agree, in a general sense.

We are certainly well past the days where Mr. Leach and Mr. Olguin
lent their particular insight into things particular and general on
the WrecK.

I have not seen a post from Mr. Bohn in quite some time.

I have not seen my favorite story teller spin his tales here in a bit.

I read a good deal too much of Mr. Fatheree's political opinions, and
those of Messrs. Hinz, Fredfighter, Miller, etc. - good and worthy
men, I am sure, but not much in the wooddorking department.

I wonder why they post here.

I will miss my friend, and he will be missed by those who value
insight, values, and intelligence.

One more good man gone.

One less reason to read the Wreck.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
David

Tom Watson wrote:
[...]

but, but, you are still stopping by for a look-see...there must be
something of value for you here...no?

Seriously, your point has some merit, Tom. My neighborhood is going to
hell, too...

Dave
smallfoot

In article ,
says...
Tom Watson wrote:
[...]

Well, you guys could always trot over fam.woodworking and start new
discussions with your Usenet-parents, Vito and Susie, watching over
everything you post.
Thomas Bunetta

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
snip
I will miss my friend, and he will be missed by those who value
insight, values, and intelligence.

One more good man gone.

One less reason to read the Wreck.

snip

Mr. Watson,
You are one of the reasons I still "read the wreck". Much has changed since
the Cabal was at large, and the echoes of Klown Hammers have faded away, as
you mused in the text removed above.
It really doesn't take as much time as it once did... so much gets skimmed
by, even after the killfile does its job.
But some is entertaining, and I admire those more proficient at typing than
I that have patience to answer so many times the often repeated questions
(read the FAQ?).
Now and then I laboriously "hunt and peck" my way through an answer to
someone, but mostly lurk.
(Oh, and I guess a few gloats... but hey, there were/are a lotta folks here
that I consider friends, and a guy has to brag and BS somewhere BG.)
It was that spirit that made me write the Masters piece ;). I wanted to
share something that humbled me and touched in a way not often done.
Your stuff (to come full circle) sometimes has that touch, in wit and
intellect... and most importantly a good touch of humor.
I just wanted remind you that the heroes of the Wreck will of necessity come
and go... (All men bow to Father time).
I too miss the Duke of Url, and David and Paully Rad.
But being a tiny bit suspicious (perhaps just hopeful) they may yet be
lurking beneath a different name I still come to "read the wreck".
Several times new faces have come and gone, and the chaff to wheat ratio HAS
changed.
But I'll be hanging around a bit yet. Thanks to guys like you!
Tom

Michael Gresham

"Tom Watson" wrote in message

One more good man gone.

One less reason to read the Wreck.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)

How true. Too bad your friends balls weren't a little bigger. If you let
the *******s win, they win. Life in general and life on the Wreck is
frequently a zero sum game.
--
Regards,
Mike

Tom Watson

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:35:05 -0700, David wrote:

but, but, you are still stopping by for a look-see...there must be
something of value for you here...no?

Luke; Chapter Four; Verse Eight.

KJV.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Thomas Bunetta

"Michael Gresham" wrote in message
"Tom Watson" wrote in message

One more good man gone.

One less reason to read the Wreck.

snip

How true. Too bad your friends balls weren't a little bigger. snip

A Klown Hammer Moment... and it seems no one to wield it!
Tom

Tom Watson

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 21:16:37 -0400, "Thomas Bunetta"
wrote:

Much has changed since
the Cabal was at large, and the echoes of Klown Hammers have faded away, as
you mused in the text removed above.

I just wanted remind you that the heroes of the Wreck will of necessity come
and go... (All men bow to Father time).
I too miss the Duke of Url, and David and Paully Rad.

I take you back to an earlier time: A sweeter time, a time of
innocence, a time of - well, let's just say it was a while back.

A pastoral setting:

Pukey Ducks, dripping Polyurinestain, graze on the green
swards.

Stacks of freshly planed pallet wood sit curing in the
driveway, the sun winking merrily on the freshly cut nail heads.

O'Deen chats up a dewaxed blonde, plotting to lower her
resistance to flow with some of his 200 proof reserve.

Duke of URL's guiltily ogles the newest silicone spray
enhanced beauty in the Delta Tool Porn Centerfold but this only gives
rise to thoughts of putting the wood to his faithful,
ever-accommodating Unisaur.

JOAT posts plans for pointy sticks and cheerfully answers his
voluminous email.

Davey Eisan sits next to a new fishing rod, reading Trollope
until his lips get numb.

Normites, Neanders, Galoots, Royds - all live in harmony.
There were no Men In Doorways, no Joes Blowing, no Woodpeckers,
nothing BAD at all.

We needed only Species Level Filters in those days - any human
being was welcomed to the Golden Wrecktangle.

But - a foul darkness was growing in the land. The beginning
of what was to become known as "The War of the Bennetts" was at hand.

"The War of the Bennetts" is thought to be explicated and
celebrated in "The Lost Chronicles of Deja". Let it suffice for now
to say that confusion and disorder were everywhere. It was an age
without wisdom, without charm, without respect, without… it was pretty
bad.

But there were great men, tall and broad, about in those days.
Some say they were the progeny of the Nephilim but the truth is lost
in the mists of time. What is known is that they formed that great
mysterium tremens, The Cabal, and swore an oath to restore order,
justice and respect. They mounted their Unisaurs and rode to glory.

And - what did they hold high, what did they wield to smite
their snarling foes? KlownHammers.

As the Samurai has his sword, as the Minuteman has his long
rifle, as the Jedi has his light saber, the Caballista has his
KlownHammer.

The original KlownHammers were forged and awarded during "The
War of the Bennetts". Their makeup and measures are shrouded in
secrecy. Their numbers are known but not spoken. It is said that
they could not be drawn and resheathed without tasting the blood of
the infidel.

They did help to restore peace and sweetness to the realm.

But - all good things must pass. The Caballistas tired of the
eternal vigilance required as the coin of freedom. Some wandered
afar, no doubt to new glory. Some were gripped by ennui and cloaked
themselves in new named anonymity. The ringing of their KlownHammers
was stilled.

A new and more insipid darkness has come to the kingdom. It
is not Nemesis that walks the realm. There are no Giants to be
toppled. There are no Dragons to be slain.

There is an idle sort of meanness. There is a foolish
disrespect. There is a graying of the flesh and a chilling of the
heart.

It is said that this does not pass unnoticed. It is said that
there are distant cries of once familiar voices, bohn mots not heard
nor shared in recent memory are tossed into the light, great figures
from an earlier age gather themselves round the fire and hold their
councils.

It is said that the KlownHammers of old are being stoned and
boned and paddylacked - made ready for the hard work that must be
done. The villagers clot together and speak in hopeful whispers.

There is more, of course. "The Lost Chronicles of Deja"
explain much but they are……lost. The old ones have grown careful in
their speaking.

I, myself, am weary and must take my rest. Enough for now…

(The madly shrieking woodgnome crazylegs his way back beneath the
fatwood pile and peers, darkly, into the dust muted gloom of the shop.
He awaits the susurrant scything swoosh that marks the coming of the
KlownHammer.)

sigh...

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
Thomas Bunetta

wrote:

Much has changed since
the Cabal was at large, and the echoes of Klown Hammers have faded away,
as
you mused in the text removed above.

I just wanted remind you that the heroes of the Wreck will of necessity
come
and go... (All men bow to Father time).
I too miss the Duke of Url, and David and Paully Rad.

I take you back to an earlier time: A sweeter time, a time of
innocence, a time of - well, let's just say it was a while back.

A pastoral setting:

A snippage that bears close resemblance to Sacrilege here

Sir Thomas,
You DO have a way with words, and the keys to my funny/nostalgia bone!
Thanks for a great read, Ya done GOOD!
Tom
(No. 110, I think... the memory is the first to go, or is it the second, I
forget)

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:29:00 -0400, the opaque Tom Watson
clearly wrote:

I received a communication from a WreckFriend of mine today.

A thinking man, a judicious man, a decent wooddorker.

What the hell was HE doing here?

He said that he would no longer be a cohabitant of the Wreck.

This was disturbing to me and I thought to parse its particulars.

He states that the Wreck is lacking in, " both wisdom and wit."

I suppose that I would have to agree, in a general sense.

Gee, why didn't you simply tell him I was on vacation, Tawm?
bseg

We are certainly well past the days where Mr. Leach and Mr. Olguin
lent their particular insight into things particular and general on
the WrecK.

I have not seen a post from Mr. Bohn in quite some time.

I have not seen my favorite story teller spin his tales here in a bit.

Yeah, where IS Mr. Nowrecki, anyway?

I read a good deal too much of Mr. Fatheree's political opinions, and
those of Messrs. Hinz, Fredfighter, Miller, etc. - good and worthy
men, I am sure, but not much in the wooddorking department.

All plonked for one reason or another.

I wonder why they post here.

Good Q.

I will miss my friend, and he will be missed by those who value
insight, values, and intelligence.

One more good man gone.

One less reason to read the Wreck.

Sest lavvy, wot?

("C'est la vie" for those who didn't grok it.)

P.S: I got to (covertly) fondle a piece of David Marks' work
at the Sonoma Artistry in Wood show last weekend. I had thought
it was a full on woodwreckin' show and was sorely disappointed.
$23 in gas, $5 at the door, and a 350 mile drive in 100°+ weather
didn't make it any less painful. Had I known in advance, I would
have taken off at 4am to head home, before it heated up.

The "bowl table" was mighty nice, though. No gaps, crisp edges,
extremely small amount of tearout in the through tenons, and a
real nice selection of 10/4 or 12/4 wood planking.

------------------------------
Gator: The other white meat!
------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 21:33:55 -0400, the opaque Tom Watson
clearly wrote:

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:35:05 -0700, David wrote:

but, but, you are still stopping by for a look-see...there must be
something of value for you here...no?

Luke; Chapter Four; Verse Eight.

KJV.

Um, izzat where he learns to use the "Force", Tawm?

P.S: Nice li'l DV post earlier.

------------------------------
Gator: The other white meat!
------------------------------

Tom Watson wrote:
[...]

I read this group because of an interest in woodworking. If I start
a thread in this group, I start a woodworking thread. I never start
an off-topic thread. There are plenty enough newsgroups in UseNet
that there simply is no excuse for starting off-topic threads.

So why do others start off-topic threads? Some are cleary started
by trolls who simply want to disrupt the group for fun. Those are
easy enough to spot and explain. I try to limit my replies to trolls
to nothing more than pointing out their posting history or other
troll-sign. No point in engaging them on the issues, that is what
they want.

But what of the others? Well, if you were trying to deceive people
about a woodworking issue would you post your article in a woodworking
newsgroup? I don't think so. Unlike the troll, these OT posters are
hoping their spew will go unchallenged. Well, I go into 'tireless
rebutter mode' and take them on. Clearly that is at least as ugly
to most as what they post. But without a rebuttal, they win the
day. And they won't stop there. Left unchallenged, they will
only get worse, more strident, more frequent, more disrespectful,
and more and more convinced they have a god-given right to act
contrary to social conventions.

Consider this thread:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...2 17fa9ae287a

Somehow, a thread on sawzall blades mutated into a subthread on nuclear
power plant fuel reprocessing. So, Mr Bozarth and myself moved that
subthread to an appropriate newsgroup. Further, after it was moved,
we got some excellent information from new participants. Perhaps
that was becuase we were interested in the truth, not trying to
deceive.

Somehow, that never seems to work with political threads. My guess is
the people who refuse to move the thread to an appropriate newsgroup
simply do not have enough confidence in their opinion to voice it
beofor others who actually are interested in and knowledgible of the
subject.

--

FF

Todd Fatheree

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
I received a communication from a WreckFriend of mine today.
A thinking man, a judicious man, a decent wooddorker.
He said that he would no longer be a cohabitant of the Wreck.

That's probably too bad.

This was disturbing to me and I thought to parse its particulars.
He states that the Wreck is lacking in, " both wisdom and wit."

I suppose that I would have to agree, in a general sense.

We are certainly well past the days where Mr. Leach and Mr. Olguin
lent their particular insight into things particular and general on
the WrecK.

I have not seen a post from Mr. Bohn in quite some time.

I have not seen my favorite story teller spin his tales here in a bit.

I read a good deal too much of Mr. Fatheree's political opinions, and
those of Messrs. Hinz, Fredfighter, Miller, etc. - good and worthy
men, I am sure, but not much in the wooddorking department.

Funny....it seems for each of my political opinions, you have one also. As
for woodorking, I'm curious how you gauge my skills. Unless I'm misstaken,
you've never seen my shop. I may not make the works of art that you create,
but I think you assume too much. And here's a tip for anyone who reads too
many off-topic posts. Every newsreader that I'm aware of has the ability to
ignore a whole thread. If you *really* don't want to read a post, there's
no one making you.

I wonder why they post here.

I read and post to a variety of threads on the wreck. Some on-topic, some
not. Seems that the same goes for you. I'll agree that I probably get
caught up in the off-topic posts more than I should. In fact, I chose to
let one drop today. I tell you what...starting today, I won't post to any
off-topic threads and you do the same. We'll see who can keep it up the
longest.

I will miss my friend, and he will be missed by those who value
insight, values, and intelligence.

One more good man gone.

One less reason to read the Wreck.

One more reason to join me in not posting to off-topic threads. If we work
together, we can make a difference, Tom.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)

todd

John B

Tom Watson wrote:
[...]

G'day all,
I place the Wreck in the same category as as someone visiting me down
the shed. Just because we're in a place where mostly woodworking is done
does not mean that we can only talk woodworking. The chances are that
out interests are some what common and we will strike upon a topic to
yarn about that we both enjoy, be it a discussion, an argument or just
bull****. The chances are that woodworking bought us together and so
does the Wreck.
The other analogy, when it comes to OT posts, is the local pub. You join
in conversations you want to and are interested in and ignore the
others, as does everyone else. Therefore there are numerous
conversations, discussions and arguments all going on at the same time
and in the same room. No need to get your nose out of joint, ignore the
fools in your eyes and let live.
I'm not pointing the finger here, just that the thread sought of leant
itself to this reply.
All the best
John
AAvK

but, but, you are still stopping by for a look-see...there must be
something of value for you here...no?

Luke; Chapter Four; Verse Eight.
KJV.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)

Luke 4:8

Jesus answered him, "It is written, 'YOU SHALL WORSHIP
THE LORD YOUR GOD AND SERVE HIM ONLY."

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Glen

Tom Watson wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:35:05 -0700, David wrote:

but, but, you are still stopping by for a look-see...there must be
something of value for you here...no?

Luke; Chapter Four; Verse Eight.

KJV.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)

I don't get it?

Lk:4:8:
8 And Jesus answering said to him. It is written: Thou shalt adore the
Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. (DRV)

Glen
Groggy

Cloaking /OFF

Hey there Tom.

I still manage to read The Wreck occasionally, and am glad to find
certain regulars still around. I'd love to be able to post more and
get involved like I used too, but the opportunities aren't what they
were.

To say the wreck is lacking in wisdom and wit may be self defeating.
There are a lot of people who have posted "jewels", we simply need to
encourage them to post more (and also show some discipline by not
reacting to trolls).

Hope everyone is well,

Groggy

Cloaking /ON

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:29:00 -0400, Tom Watson
wrote:

[...]

Art Greenberg

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:29:00 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:
One more good man gone.

One less reason to read the Wreck.

Sigh.

I'm a newbie wooddorker. I've played with wood for a long time, on and off,
mostly home remodeling & improvement type stuff. I have long wished for the
space to set up a shop, the money to buy tools, wood, and books, and the time
to learn and do.

I'm definitely *not* a newbie on the 'net. I long ago discovered the value of
usenet, and other "bulletin board" forums. I soaked up quite a bit over time,
about the things I was interested in and wondered about. Amateur radio,
computers, car repair, SCUBA diving, home improvement, herpetology,
photography (guess I have never made up my mind about what I like to do). On
the 'net, I could find subject matter experts, folks who had already done and
learned, and were willing to teach. And, when I thought I knew enough about
something to actually contribute, I did that, too. It made sense to me to give
back to the community that helped me so often.

I have been reading the Wreck for about a year, while I put together my shop,
and gathered a few tools, and read a few books. Getting ready to actually put
my hands on wood, for it is in the doing that I actually learn.

Now that I have space, a little money, and a little time, I am almost ready to
take on a wooddorking project or two. And I was counting on the Wreck being
here, so I could ask, and learn. It will be a long time before I can
contribute, but I want to be able to do that, too.

Have I waited too long?

--
Art Greenberg
artg AT eclipse appendix DOT net
Tom Watson

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:29:38 GMT, Glen wrote:

Tom Watson wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:35:05 -0700, David wrote:

but, but, you are still stopping by for a look-see...there must be
something of value for you here...no?

Luke; Chapter Four; Verse Eight.

KJV.

I don't get it?

Lk:4:8:
8 And Jesus answering said to him. It is written: Thou shalt adore the
Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. (DRV)

Glen

"Get thee behind me, Satan:..."

Ray

Why TO hang out on the wreck:

Me. I am new to woodworking and need all of the help I can get. I
have made a few projects of mediocre quality, but want to do more.
Yes, I was motivated by Norm to try it out. Yes, I build more jigs
than projects. Yes, I buy too many power tools and have only one plane
I don't know how to use. But I am still at it.

I have pieces of a coffee table waiting to be sanded, glued (no brads),
and oiled (I think that is the correct order). These were wrapped up
during the move and remodel we're doing. Next project will be a
rocking horse for the second child. I hope to do a much better job
than I did on the first one.

Sometimes I think I'll never have time to get to any of these, and
then I am inspired by JT. Yes some of the posts are OT and political
but all wood and no play makes Jack a dull boy. For a newbie like me
the mix is just right, sometimes too OT, sometimes too in depth (still
don't know what riving knives are). The individual websites are also
helpful, LRod's advice on smoking will come in handy soon, I'm
almost ready.

So why read, and post, to the wreck? Because whether or not you read
it often, there are plenty of people out here reading and occasionally
posting that are in need or your experience and opinions.

Swingman

"Art Greenberg" wrote in message

Have I waited too long?

Not at all ... nothing is ever like it "used to be". The longer you live the
more the ham fat, the fewer the heroes ... learn to live with it.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/23/05

Thomas Bunetta

"Ray" wrote in message
ups.com...
Why TO hang out on the wreck:

snippage the mix is just right, sometimes too OT, sometimes too in depth
(still
don't know what riving knives are). The individual websites are also
helpful, LRod's advice on smoking will come in handy soon, I'm
almost ready.

So why read, and post, to the wreck? Because whether or not you read
it often, there are plenty of people out here reading and occasionally
posting that are in need or your experience and opinions.

With your attitude, you will have to be a "winner"...
AFAIK A riving knife is a small blade in a table saw that scores the surface
of the piece, eliminating tear out.
Tom

Lawrence Wasserman

Boo hoo hoo! You're braking my heart, man!

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Dave in Fairfax

AAvK wrote:
Luke 4:8
Jesus answered him, "It is written, 'YOU SHALL WORSHIP
THE LORD YOUR GOD AND SERVE HIM ONLY."

Luke 4:8
And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me,
Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God,
and him only shalt thou serve.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net
bridger

Thomas Bunetta wrote:

AFAIK A riving knife is a small blade in a table saw that scores the surface
of the piece, eliminating tear out.

nope.

it's the european version of a splitter.

John B wrote:
...)
G'day all,
I place the Wreck in the same category as as someone visiting me down
the shed. Just because we're in a place where mostly woodworking is done
does not mean that we can only talk woodworking. The chances are that
out interests are some what common and we will strike upon a topic to
yarn about that we both enjoy, be it a discussion, an argument or just
bull****. The chances are that woodworking bought us together and so
does the Wreck.

Therein lies the problem. Too many people regard rec.woowdorking
as _their_ shed, not recognizing that it is a communal resource.

Further, the shop is not rec.woodworking, it is usenet. There are
enough newsgroups that their is no excuse for starting an off-
topic thread in any of them, that includes rec.woodworking.
Rec.woodworking is ony one small room in the shop. Starting
a thread about global change in rec.woowdorking is like walking
into the paint booth with your belt sander saying:

1) Don't mind me, I'll only do a little sanding.

or

2) I'm not the only one who sands in here.

or

3) I'm don't know the guys in the sanding room so I'm going
sand in here.

or

4) If you don't want to sand, just ignore me.

or

5) You're a jerk just leave me alone.

The other analogy, when it comes to OT posts, is the local pub. You join
in conversations you want to and are interested in and ignore the
others, as does everyone else. Therefore there are numerous
conversations, discussions and arguments all going on at the same time
and in the same room.

Here the room is analagous to UseNet and each conversation to
indivivual newsgroups. Suppose you're at the pub and there is
one group talking woodworking and another talking global climate
change. If you poke your nose into the woodworlking group to
talk global climate change how could you possible be upset if
someone there asks to go talk to the other group?

Besides, barrooms are inherantly anarchist, whereas UseNet must
be structured or it becomes unusuable.

out of joint, ignore the
fools in your eyes and let live.
I'm not pointing the finger here, just that the thread sought of leant
itself to this reply.
All the best

FF

mac davis

Tom Watson wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:35:05 -0700, David wrote:

but, but, you are still stopping by for a look-see...there must be
something of value for you here...no?

Luke; Chapter Four; Verse Eight.

KJV.

I don't get it?

Lk:4:8:
8 And Jesus answering said to him. It is written: Thou shalt adore the
Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. (DRV)

Glen

"Get thee behind me, Satan:..."

hmm... I'd rather have him in front of me, so I didn't have to watch me back...
or my ass..
(damn donkey thieves!)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

AAvK wrote:
but, but, you are still stopping by for a look-see...there must be
something of value for you here...no?

Luke; Chapter Four; Verse Eight.
KJV.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)

Luke 4:8

Jesus answered him, "It is written, 'YOU SHALL WORSHIP
THE LORD YOUR GOD AND SERVE HIM ONLY."

So why not do a Google search to see wha thte gods of usenet
have to say about off-topic posts.

--

FF

Patrick Conroy

Tom Watson wrote in
:

One less reason to read the Wreck.

Funny...

When I started reading today, chronologically, I had the same sentiment.

Now, at the end, after reading two posts by Tom and Lew, I think I'll pop
in from time to time.

Funny.

I don't know you people from Adam.
But I've got a mental image of many of you.
You strike me as the type of folks I wish as I had as neighbors.

Yep - funny, how life is.
Especially as you grow older.

Fly-by-Night CC

In article et,
Art Greenberg wrote:

Have I waited too long?

Something interesting appears to be happening over on
rec.crafts.woodturning - some oldies who left a year or so ago are again
visiting and beginning to participate again. It's good to see them back
and offering their wisdom, experience and commentary.

I've been here since '99 or so and have memories of a few very
insightful or incite-ful, and humorous folks. Some I miss, some not so
much and at least one has gone on to whatever comes after this life. But
there are still some interesting characters from the old days and who
knows which current participant will become part of the wreck legend for
future readers.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
CC

"Thomas Bunetta" wrote in message

"Ray" wrote in message
ups.com...
Why TO hang out on the wreck:

snippage the mix is just right, sometimes too OT, sometimes too in
depth (still
don't know what riving knives are). The individual websites are also
helpful, LRod's advice on smoking will come in handy soon, I'm
almost ready.

So why read, and post, to the wreck? Because whether or not you read
it often, there are plenty of people out here reading and occasionally
posting that are in need or your experience and opinions.

With your attitude, you will have to be a "winner"...
AFAIK A riving knife is a small blade in a table saw that scores the
surface of the piece, eliminating tear out.
Tom

Nope. A riving knife is a blade shaped curved piece that is attached behind
the saw blade to act as a splitter.
The small blade in front of the main blade is called a scoring blade. It
cuts a very shallow cut, slightly wider than
the main blade to precut laminate and other surfaces to prevent tearout and
make a sharp crisp cut It's usually a small 4" wobble blade
powered with a separate motor, the blade wobble is adjustable to allow for
width of cut.. At least that is the way it is on the Altendorf I use in the
shop. No, not my shop, but the one I work in.
link to picture of riving knife in rear of tablesaw blade, third picture
across.
http://www.hammer.at/

chuck

Dave in Fairfax

Fly-by-Night CC wrote:
Something interesting appears to be happening over on
rec.crafts.woodturning - some oldies who left a year or so ago are again
visiting and beginning to participate again. It's good to see them back
and offering their wisdom, experience and commentary.

I've been here since '99 or so and have memories of a few very
insightful or incite-ful, and humorous folks. Some I miss, some not so
much and at least one has gone on to whatever comes after this life. But
there are still some interesting characters from the old days and who
knows which current participant will become part of the wreck legend for
future readers.

Yup, let's hope that it's contagious.

Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.patinatools.org
L. Wilson

Tom Watson wrote:
[...]

Tom,
I hang out and have been a lurker for many years because of folks like
you. I have learned so much here and on occasion have helped someone
with my slim but accumulated knowledge. This is a community of like
minded for the most part with a passion for the old and honored craft of
turning Natures woods into a cherished and useful thing of beauty. I am
at a time in my life when I can finally devote more time and energy to
the woodcrafts and am looking forward to learning much more from you and
your brethren. Some day I hope to be able to pass on the accumulated
knowledge to someone else with the thirst to learn the woodcrafts.
Don't let the *******s win. We all need each other.

Regards,
Loren Wilson
WoodWizzard Woodcrafts
Colorado

Patriarch

Patrick Conroy wrote in
:

Funny.

I don't know you people from Adam.
But I've got a mental image of many of you.
You strike me as the type of folks I wish as I had as neighbors.

I've got neighbors like you folks, too.

Sometimes loud and off-topic. Usually ready to help when there's a
problem. Smarter & dumber than me at the same time, but we don't care. We
like our neighborhood, most days.

I rather enjoy this one too.

Patriarch
Swingman

"Tom Watson" wrote in message ...
I received a communication from a WreckFriend of mine today.

A thinking man, a judicious man, a decent wooddorker.

ALL the above applies to you, Tawm.

He said that he would no longer be a cohabitant of the Wreck

... don't you be thinking about running off now, Bubba.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/23/05

Thomas Bunetta

"Dave in Fairfax" wrote in message
Fly-by-Night CC wrote:
Something interesting appears to be happening over on

snipped

Yup, let's hope that it's contagious.

Dave in Fairfax
--

Dave,
You have to be right! What we all share is deeper than any tool or piece of
wood... There is something in our souls that communicates to one another.
Tom

Tom Watson

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 07:00:55 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

"Tom Watson" wrote in message ...
I received a communication from a WreckFriend of mine today.

A thinking man, a judicious man, a decent wooddorker.

ALL the above applies to you, Tawm.

He said that he would no longer be a cohabitant of the Wreck

... don't you be thinking about running off now, Bubba.

Thanks, Swing.

Since y'all is a musical sorta man, albeit not a musical theatre sorta
man, I would like to pass along to you, the second tune in my new
musical, Camel Lot.

You may remember the original musical, written by the two dead guys.

I have modified it a bit to fit the current times.

CAMEL LOT: A MUSICAL

"CAMEL LOT"

BIN LADEN:

It's true! It's true! The Quran makes it clear.
The infidel must be killed all the year.

A law was made a distant moon ago he
No matter what the month it is too hot.
And there's a law against us having snow here
In Camel Lot.

Now Christmas is forbidden in December
And Easter, March or April gets you shot.
We worship the eleventh of September
In Camel Lot.

Camel Lot! Camel Lot!
I know it sounds a bit bizarre,
But in Camel Lot, Camel Lot
That's how conditions are.

The bombs go off from sunrise until sundown.
By eight, the blue-eyed devils disappear.
In short, there's simply not
A more congenial spot
For happily-ever-aftering than here
In Camel Lot.

Camel Lot! Camel Lot!
I know it gives a mullah pause,
But in Camel Lot, Camel Lot
Those are the holy laws.

The bodies turn to slush upon the roadside.
By nine p.m. the nightfighters appear.
In short, there's simply not
A more congenial spot
For happily-ever-aftering than here
In Camel Lot.

(apologies to L and L, Good Taste, Positive Restraint, Manners, both
learned and earned, Pat Buchanan, Uncle Bob, etc., etc., etc.,...)

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)
TWS

Tom,
If I take a look at how hanging out on the Wreck compares to other
activities in my life then I realize, without too much introspection,
that I would MUCH prefer to spend time in the woodshop. Comparing
further, I realize that I visit the Wreck when I have nothing else to
do - very rare these days - or I'm doing something that is not all
that compelling and a visit to the Wreck is a worthwhile distraction.
For example, sitting through very boring international teleconferences
late at night. Unfortunately, it only takes a few minutes to work my
way through the 1350 posts since my last visit - a period far too
short to gain full advantage during an hour's call.

I can confidently say that my woodworking has improved significantly
from things I've learned on the Wreck (not necessarily applying the
advice in the manner described, however). But like anything else,
there is a normal distribution of contributors, and visiting the Wreck
is really made worthwhile by the rare individual, such as you, who is
clearly several standard deviations above the norm (Note I used lower
case for 'norm'. It would be an interesting exercise to compare
against the Norm but I'm neither qualified nor see any value in such a
comparison). Unfortunately, I don't know the contributions of the
individuals you praised, being a relatively new visitor to the Wreck
and they have all departed. Equally, I don't really know the
'contributions' of the others you mentioned - probably having avoided
those threads.

The really good news is that it doesn't take a whole lot of effort to
search for the gems from contributors who do have something worthwhile
to say. So I can safely say (knowing that I'll be having many telecons
in the future) that I'll be back and looking forward to it.

The lamentable part, and the part I think you are really addressing,
is that people who do have something to contribute are finding that it
is not worthwhile to participate. They already know the gems and need
to find a reason to contribute. I'm not sure why someone would want
to join the 'shouting match' just to share something with a rarely
appreciative audience. I guess we need to find some really boring
things for them to do so they can visit the Wreck while waiting for
the boring thing to end... I'm not sure what other incentive might
exist.

Tom

Project Finished, and a big thank you to the wreck Leuf Woodworking 17 July 23rd 05 05:35 AM
The Wreck - And Politics - And A New Pledge Tom Watson Woodworking 28 October 16th 04 02:24 AM
The Soft Wreck ? toller Woodworking 82 September 14th 04 09:50 PM
Psychopathology and The Wreck Tom Watson Woodworking 59 June 7th 04 03:26 PM
When You Hear The Heavy Accent & The Poor Phone Connection... HANG UP!!! _____ Rr5rovFW84b Doug Miller Woodturning 3 March 27th 04 11:25 PM