Art Greenberg

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:29:00 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:
One more good man gone.

One less reason to read the Wreck.

Sigh.

I'm a newbie wooddorker. I've played with wood for a long time, on and off,
mostly home remodeling & improvement type stuff. I have long wished for the
space to set up a shop, the money to buy tools, wood, and books, and the time
to learn and do.

I'm definitely *not* a newbie on the 'net. I long ago discovered the value of
usenet, and other "bulletin board" forums. I soaked up quite a bit over time,
about the things I was interested in and wondered about. Amateur radio,
computers, car repair, SCUBA diving, home improvement, herpetology,
photography (guess I have never made up my mind about what I like to do). On
the 'net, I could find subject matter experts, folks who had already done and
learned, and were willing to teach. And, when I thought I knew enough about
something to actually contribute, I did that, too. It made sense to me to give
back to the community that helped me so often.

I have been reading the Wreck for about a year, while I put together my shop,
and gathered a few tools, and read a few books. Getting ready to actually put
my hands on wood, for it is in the doing that I actually learn.

Now that I have space, a little money, and a little time, I am almost ready to
take on a wooddorking project or two. And I was counting on the Wreck being
here, so I could ask, and learn. It will be a long time before I can
contribute, but I want to be able to do that, too.

Have I waited too long?

--
Art Greenberg
artg AT eclipse appendix DOT net