mac davis

On 25 Jul 2005 10:46:01 -0700, "robo hippy" wrote:

Lee,
The height of the lathe is one matter, while how you stand while
working is another. If the lathe is at the proper height, and you have
to bend or reach over the lathe to get the tools at the proper angle to
cut properly (this is more of a problem with bowls and end grain/boxes
than spindles) then this will put strain on your lower back. The
'Dunlaps disease is another matter (your belly dun laps over your
belt). Shoulders should be parallel to hips, and back should be
straight. Suck in your gut a little.
robo hippy

well, though I tend to agree with Bill Grumbine that dunlaps are your "turning
muscle", I think that being out of position is not only hard on your back, but
has to effect your balance and body movement, too..
I'm trying to learn to turn with either hand, but sometimes, especially on deep
boxes, I just seem more comfortable working from the other side (back?) of the
lathe... might just be a correct handed thing, though..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing