Gunner

On 25 Jul 2005 23:12:07 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

Perhaps so. But I think that I have covered most of what may
be needed (other than how to convince a Windows box to use that instead
of a modem to dial up a network connection. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Don, quick question for you. It appears you are linux/unix smart. Ive
got a Linux box running on the home net, one that Ive been using to
try various distros of Linux (I rather like Mepis btw) and have been
setting them up to use proxy access to the net via my regular win XP
pro box (dial up..sigh) Works great via proxy.

My problem is that I scrounged an external modem (works fine) and
after installing it, I cannot connect to the net via the modem. KPPP
setup is fine, it dials out properly but when I load any browser or
apt-get etc etc..it ignores that there is a modem ready and waiting.
Ive changed/removed the proxy settings from all the browsers
(firefox/konqurer/Dillo) and none will use the modem. If I use a Run
from CD distro, all works fine.

Any idea which file(s) needs to be configured to allow all internet
tasks to go to tty/s01? No one in my area that Im familar with knows
dick about linux, nor does the local Community College offer any
classes, and learning this on my own is a stone bitch. Ive got a QUE
book on linux...but its not helping much either....sigh.

I added the modem after installing the OS. When booting, the os
finds the modem no problem. I used KPPP to set up the modem, all went
well there.

Do I need to reinstall? Id rather not lose all my other settings.

Id run off a CD..but its slow, even on a 700 mhz machine with 512 ram.
Which sort of defeats futzing with linux.

Ive got Mepis (current distro) loaded, with Mandiva , Fedora and
Ubuntu waiting in the wings, along with Knoppix, which, like Mepis,
works pretty well. Im not doing anything other than desktop stuff,
and have a second 80gig drive mounted as hdb1 for storage serving via
samba

Ive also got DSL, Beatrix and several other small versions also.

Got any suggestions on how to solve the modem problem?

Gunner

"This device is provided without warranty of any kind as to reliability,
accuracy, existence or otherwise or fitness for any particular purpose
and Bioalchemic Products specifically does not warrant, guarantee,
imply or make any representations as to its merchantability for any
particular purpose and furthermore shall have no liability for or
responsibility to you or any other person, entity or deity with respect
to any loss or damage whatsoever caused by this device or object or by
any attempts to destroy it by hammering it against a wall or dropping it
into a deep well or any other means whatsoever and moreover asserts
that you indicate your acceptance of this agreement or any other
agreement that may he substituted at any time by coming within
five miles of the product or observing it through large telescopes or
by any other means because you are such an easily cowed moron
who will happily accept arrogant and unilateral conditions on a piece
of highly priced garbage that you would not dream of accepting on a
bag of dog biscuits and is used solely at your own risk.'