Karl Vorwerk

Is an outhouse illegal? I you not going pour anything nasty in it I'd just
run the sink to some sort of drain field, say a buried bucket with holes in
it wrapped in that cloth that keeps dirt out.
Karl

"Andy Asberry" wrote in message
I've built a small shop (1500') on the farm. It is properly plumbed
inside for a sink and toilet. No zoning or permits required except for
septic. County has banned new conventional leach field systems.
Grandfathered ones can be repaired but not replaced.
Smallest permissible new is three 500 gallon tank aerobic with both
pumps.

I'll be the only one using it and it may not get used every day. And
then, probably only for a pee. There is livestock on the other side of
a fence 4 feet from the building.

Options and possibilities:

The new system which is out because of cost. operating permit is $450.

Connect to an existing conventional system (currently not in use) 60 '
away. With proper drop, waste line would enter tank half way down the
side, 3 feet or so. Lateral line would have to be replaced, deeper.

Pump from a new holding tank to an aerobic system 200 feet away. This
would involve trenching across an established lawn. Pretty much rule
this out.

Go take a leak in the barn or walk the 150 feet to the house..

Or...bootleg a small system that would be sized to handle the small
amount of waste.

I'm leaning toward the latter but I have concerns about whether there
would be enough solids to keep the bacteria working.

I'm thinking maybe two buried plastic barrels in series; pumping the
liquid from the second into the barnyard or a conventional lateral
line. Wouldn't be more than...maybe...5 gallons a day. Not just pee;
hand washing and flushing you know.

I'd like to hear comments and suggestions.

I suppose there is another option. Chamber pot/slop jar, depending on
which side of the Mason/Dixon line you're on.