Chris Styles wrote:
All,

We've just moved to an area with very hardwater, and I dont think the
previous occupants did anything to compbat limescale in the loo :-( Despite
scrubbing and using a few of the off-the-shelf-from-teso limescale removers,
the deposits havent budged.

Google seems to suggest using vinegar - anyone got any experience of this?
Alternatively, can anyone recommend some super industrial-strength limescale
eater?

Cheers

Chris

The advantage with Hydrochloric acid is it attacks both limescale and
organic matter. Typically the 2 are mixed together, each one protecting
the other, since different cleaners are needed for each. I would
definitely use HCl, but bear in mind it is a relatively high risk
cleaner. Wear goggles in case of a splashed droplet, if it gets on skin
rinse it off.

HCl is also far faster than all the others. Tesco lime scale removing
toilet cleaner contains hcl. Brick acid is somewhat stronger HCl, and
thus riskier.

Never use anything with bleach around acids. Flush a few times to rinse
the HCl through the pipework if you sue any significant quantity, as it
will attack mortar joints etc.

You can either apply a bit between loo uses, or fill and leave
overnight.

NT