Bill Janssen

Nick Müller wrote:

Mark Mossberg wrote:

Boy,, If your ethernet cards use coax they are really old.

Right!

The last one usually has a terminator cap.

Both ends need them. They avoid reflections.

I don't know for sure if TV cable will, or will not work.

It won't. Wrong impedance. For thin wire you need 50 Ohms, so a RG58
would do. TV-cables are 75 Ohms, IIRC.

I still have a bunch of coax lying around. Double shielded, best
quality. Also some connectors (crimping) ...

Right now I am connected to my DSL box with about 150 feet of 75 Ohm
coax cable. And to
make matters worse I use 50 Ohm termination's. I get 10 Megabits per
second. on the coax.
I have another machine (Win98) at the DSL box so I know the speed is
greater than the DSL line.

I have a converter device at this end to convert coax to twisted pair
(RJ45) to connect to this
computer. So sometimes the rules can be violated and things will work.

I would recommend that CAT6 wiring be installed and then the new
computers and
interface cards can be used as intended.

Bill K7NOM