robo hippy

Tom,
After 7 plus years of turning, the basic formula that I came up with
is; take the cost of the lathe, the accessories that go with it will be
2 to 4 times the cost of the lathe, or more, depending on the severity
of your addiction. For size concerns, any bowl over about 16 inches in
diameter is more of a specialty market. The Nova is a good medium
lathe, as are the similar delta and jet models. The Powermatic 3520 is
a good step up from that, and this is what I turn on. I don't know if
the bigger Oneway performs any better than the PM, especially at twice
the cost. There is an advantage in the swiveling and sliding heads in
that they allow you to stand straight up. This posture can save a lot
of strain on the back if you turn for more that an hour or so a day. As
someone who turns mostly bowls, I can see a dedicated bowl lathe in my
future, if I ever get wealthy. For now my PM performs all tasks well
enough.
robo hippy

George wrote:
"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
I'm quick'stimating that I've spent about $2500-$3000 in the 4 years

since getting my lathe, not including consumables or purchased woods.
That includes the lathe, chuck, tools, chain saw, sharpening hardware,
disk sander and bandsaw.

Have to include those? What if you already had chain/band sander? Those
would kick it up close to _ another _ two grand in acquisition cost. Hate
to consider replacement, because it's well-said that "they don't make 'em
like they used to."