Mary Fisher wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com.
Timothy Murphy wrote:

Are water meters inordinately expensive?
Or do they have some disadvantage?

Theyre a way of getting a big hike in prices in through the back door.

I don't know why you say that.

Comparing the costs each way of average water consumption maybe?

snip

so what? All it tells us is you use less than average. Thats no
surprise.

In my experience, of discussing it with other metered users, our experience
is far from unique. None of them would go back to the old system.

50% of users use less than average. Its normally the ones that use less
than average that consider going over to meters.

Water metering is inevitable at some time, all new houses get them now.
But if youre on unmeterd, unless youre planning to stay single for
life, stay unmetered.

You could say the same thing about electricity, gas, telephone, petrol
and,
well, food.

its perfectly obvious one can not say that about any of those. I dont
know of any people on unmetered supplies of electricity, gas,
telephone, petrol and, well, food. Maybe you do.

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Im lost for words.

Why shouldn't you pay for what you use?

I do, we all do. Most of us pay a flat rate based on average use.

But if you were metered perhaps you might be more careful about what you
use - as you do (I imagine) with electricity, gas etc.

No, Im careful already.

NT