Andrew Gabriel

In article ws.net,
":::Jerry::::" writes:

But not 30A when some idiot uses a bolt to bridge the fuse....

You seem to have a bizzare fixation on one issue which
is pretty much a non-sequitur, whilst still failing to
understand the safety features designed into the system
as a whole.

Bare in mind the BS1363 plugs and sockets and the ring
circuit is the most recently designed power distribution
system for portable appliances in the world (that I know
of anyway), and sought to avoid all the problems the
pre-existing systems had, and didn't compromise itself
by trying to be backwards compatible with anything that
came before (unlike most other power distribution systems
in use today). Its safety speaks for itself when compared
to other systems in the world. I won't pretend it has no
issues or it could not be improved -- there have been a
number of improvements through its nearly 60 year life.
However, if you think you are seeing some major safety
issue compared with other power distribution systems,
most likely you are misunderstanding the design or you
are basing this on some faulty premise (such as any
widespread bypassing of BS1362 fuses, which just isn't
the case).

By all means look for ways of improving it further, but
you won't get very far if you keep concentrating on things
which aren't safety problems -- actually you are much more
likely to reduce safety by changing such things.

--
Andrew Gabriel