Timothy Murphy wrote:

Probably OT, but my attention was drawn by a posting on water meters,
and it made me wonder again
why water meters are not a standard part of the water supply?

Every year one reads of water shortages in parts of the UK
(not so much in Ireland, but it is not unknown here).

They do not exist, it is a simple fiction designed to limit the use to
the high but not infinite level of supply.

We have so much water it is unmetered. We have so much water it is
acceptable to run garden sprinklers all day long, day after day. And
some do.

Are water meters inordinately expensive?
Or do they have some disadvantage?

Theyre a way of getting a big hike in prices in through the back door.
Last I heard they also were fitted pre pipework that is the water co's
responsibility, so if a leak occurs in that pipe, you pay for it.
Unlimitedly.

This is why theyre not considered desirable.

Water metering is inevitable at some time, all new houses get them now.
But if youre on unmeterd, unless youre planning to stay single for
life, stay unmetered.

NT