Chip wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 13:29:53 +0100,it is alleged that Andy Hall
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:
On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 07:21:54 -0500, Jim Michaels
wrote:

Both can become dangerous due to consumer misuse.

yes, any system can.

If you wire it up without any CU, using choc block on the meter tails,
as has been done, and stick bolts in the plug fuse holders, as has been
done, you can expect a Darwin award.

At least here we dont have anyone so dumb they made a shampoo bottle
into a floating mains socket for use *IN* their pool.

Good British example is the above mentioned fuse-substitutes (although
thankfully the public are getting better about this) and the antique
and fortunately now rare unfused double adapters.

Theyre not antique, and are common. I was still buying them new in the
90s, and used them en masse in extension leads. Safely I might add.

They were allowed for so long because in practice they have not caused
problems. Think what happens when you plug 6kW continuous into one
adaptor... not many people could tolerate that much heat for long
enough for it to fry. And very few are quite that dumb. 3kW
intermittent they will tolerate.

But I swore I wouldnt get sucked back into this silly thread.

NT