Swingman

"Dave in Fairfax" wrote in message
Tom Watson wrote:
A bird's mouth is the notch cut in a rafter to receive the top plate
of the wall.

Yup, that's the only one I know of by that name. I'm not quite sure how
that works with a planter...

Semantics ... much like the term "dado", which has a completely different
meaning to a classical architect than it does to a woodworker.

Named primarily, and conveniently, because of the way the joint looks,
whether it be in frame construction, or planter boxes. A birds mouth router
bit cuts a bird's mouth shaped joint that is perfect for spars, barrel
shapes, and other multi-sided, hollow objects.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/12/05