Chip

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 17:25:53 +0100,it is alleged that ":::Jerry::::"
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

[snip]

But how many idiots then put the wrong rating of fuse in when they
try to use a 5amp extension to supply a 3Kw fire.

Probably millions. I replaced all our 5 amp extensions with 13 amp
ones using 1.5mm flex.

That could not happen if the protection device was back at the board
and needed more than a dining table knife blade to open...

Or indeed just needed a switch flipped to reset it.

IMO radial circuits were far safer from abuse, although they were
more expencive to implement correctly, the ring circuit (as used in
the UK) is a 'one size fits all' solution that is wide open to abuse.

Totally agreed, it would increase the initial cost quite significantly
though, you'd need many many more ways in the consumer unit, we'd have
to use US style distribution panels rather than small consumer units.

Worthwhile in my opinion, but people want the cheapest they can get.

--
This .signature has been hijacked by the Shellfish Liberation Army.
Please remain clam.