Steven Raphael

Tom I have been turning for about 5 years now and I started out with less
expensive tools just to make sure that I liked it. Not all cheap tools are
cheap some of the tools that I bought 5 years ago I still have and still use
on a regular basis. So far the turnings that I have sold I have barely
broken even on but I do not turn for the profit but for the fun of it. As I
have been able to I have purchased better tooling and some of this "better
tooling" is not as good as my inexpensive tooling.

"Tom Nie" wrote in message
Thanks for the responses to my other post.

The $10,000 came from sitting with a catalog and starting a list of what
would be needed, or wanted, and came up with around $5000. Then adding the
lathe, probably a Oneway. Basically a $5000 tag for a lathe.

Reason? To get some handle on where this all could go. And the other is
that over the years I've found that buying the cheapest is not the
cheapest. I tend toward perfectionism and might complain of the failings
of the equipment if too cheap. My general equipment experience over my
career is fairly extensive.

I've reservations in August to do a week of Basic Woodturning in Ripley,
WV at Cedar Lakes.