Edwin Pawlowski

"David" wrote in message

The

mfgr that doesn't want the part back probably doesn't care a whole lot
about QA.

Dave

Not true.
He may already have 47 of them returned and getting one more is not going to
help.
He may already know there was a problem in production, it was corrected, but
a few slipped through.

In 99% of the cases, I know what a problem was caused by and from the
description. It usually has long been corrected because we've made 20,000
more since then with no complaints. If it was a machine malfunction and
corrected, the part is of no value. If it was carelessness on the part of
the packer, I may want it to show him or others what NOT to do. That is a
tiny minority of what I see but can vary in different industries.

You listen to the customer, you assure him he will be credited or the part
replaced, you thank him for bringing the problem to your attention.