tim

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote in
:

Jungle Jim wrote:
We are buikding a new home - ranch w/basement, and I am
interested in (either tasking the electrician or doing it
myself) taking this opportunity to wire the house for network
drops, audio, etc. I will want a closet with a patch panel for
maximum flexibility and home runs from each room in the house.
I do know that I will want 2 cat-5 cables for each room
(network and phone), and RG-6 coax for tv cable. There are
other hings I will want to do at a later time, but for now I
don't want to vet in too deeply into other things such as
security cameras, etc.

What books are available that you have used and can recommend
to me so that I may become more educated in current technology
and what;s coming up.

Anyone who has either done this at home construction or as an
add-on after construction ? What was your ideas on this ?

Sounds good. 2x cat5 per room should be sufficient. Security
camers are also using IP addresses and network connections these
days, so perhaps put a few drops in the attic for good camera
locations. Plus electrical.

run the cable, but you dont have to wire every room right away,
long as the wire is there your good for when you need it.

And if you can avoid wireless your better off. Use it only on
the laptop. No need to run so many extra radio waves through
ourselves than necessary. And wire will always be faster than
wireless.

if you've got the walls open, nothing beats conduit. right now it
looks like everything can be done on cat5/6, but what happens when
you need cat8a, or fiber, or whatever. an empty conduit, or any
conduit, with a pull string is infinitely preferable to trying to
restring something else after the walls are closed up.