Simon Avery

Default Chasing computer wiring (Cat-5) into plaster over brick wall

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

Hello Dave

Up to you. The plaster won't hurt it, and it's not mains
nor gas nor water, so it won't hurt anyone if you drill
into it.

DL| True but thing of the agro trying to repair it...

But chance of it happening is pretty small, especially if you're still
living there and wired properly. (No bends, verticals to visible point
etc)

DL| Steel capping is cheap and easy to fit. Though to be honest
DL| for LV stuff like this I'd be looking at a larger duct, say
DL| 3" square in a hidden corner somewhere even if it extends
DL| cable runs considerably. 'Cause as sure as eggs is eggs
DL| something will need to be changed or added in the next 10
DL| years.

F'sure, but I expect it to still be using copper (fibre being a maybe
for commercial properties) so just swapping the connectors and leaving
the wiring in situ should be ok for most upgrades.

Hell, I'm still using Coax for my LAN here. It works!

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/