Woodcraft 2005 magazine has an article on how to turn a bat with a
template. Woodcraft 800-225-1153 sells ash blank 3x3x40" for $26.99.
There first choice is to burnish with wood shavings (after well
sanded). They say as an alternate to use linseed, tung or wax and stain
it if you like. My vote which I understand doesnt count is to burnish
it with the idea that you can always add other finish down the road.
Ive burnished table legs that look like they had finish on them. A pro
wipes pine tar or something for the grip so my guess is that there is
no finish. Go Red Sox Curt just got a win tonight.