Jeff

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message

In article k.net,
"Jeff" wrote:

I just bought a white ash blank for a baseball bat and was wondering:

1. Are there any special considerations w/r/t turning bats?
2. What are the typical finishes used by the commercial bat makers?
3. If no one knows the answer to #2, what is recommended.

Considering my only bat turning experience was 30 years ago in Jr. High
- a red oak monster that jarred one's arms all the way to the shoulders
when you connected with the ball and was way too honkin' big in the
handle - I've been toying with turning a bat for my daughter's
new-found T-ball interest. (Do you folks know that regular aluminum bats
can approach $300?!? I couldn't believe it and didn't realize the soda
cans I've been tossing into recycling are so precious. Makes the Oregon
nickel per can deposit seem pretty paltry.)

I'd likely use a polyurethane on a home-made bat since it's about the
toughest finish available to consumers - but not expect it to look good
for very long after landing in the dirt and laying on damp grass. I bet
the commercial bats are catalyzed lacquer or some such techie finish
suited to efficient mass production.

As to turning one, I'd think it shouldn't require a spindle steady since
the smallest diameter is maybe an inch and a quarter. I'm also thinking
to position it so that the handle is at the headstock so that I'm making
my cuts toward the drive end instead of away.

Your last paragraph provides the sort of info I'd never think about as a
novice. Thanks.

Jeff