Dave Liquorice

Default Chasing computer wiring (Cat-5) into plaster over brick wall

On 17 Aug 2003 02:16:40 -0700, Zymurgy wrote:

... after gouging a sample out. the plaster is only 10mm thick, so
there'll be very little covering it when I plaster over.

Steel capping is not that thick you should have a couple of mm over
the top, ample. Anyway you have an SDS cutting a shallow grove in the
wall under the plaster shouldn't be a problem. What is the wall made
of? Probably block, very soft and easy to cut.

Is there any mileage in going through the first course and threading
the wires down the cavity ?

Generally wires should not be in the cavity. It's quite easy for them
to form a damp bridge or feed any vermin that get in. Anyway shouldn't
that cavity be filled with insulation. Threading stuff through the
insulation could vary from fun to impossible.

I may just go wireless !!

I wouldn't, cable is cheap, fast, secure and reliable. You can also
feed other signals down Cat5, like telephones, audio, video etc.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail