Owen Lowe

In article 36,
Patriarch wrote:

Well, that, and that kids break wooden bats with alarming frequency. At
least, we did when I was a kid. The tape on the bat wasn't for a grip,
most of the time.

You mean all that black electrical tape wasn't for grip?!?

So, Owen, I hear there's no straight grained maple in Oregon. It's
supposed to all be that useless curly stuff. Are you going to use
imported? Canadian maple is what was used, when the Giants had a home run
hitter with good knees...

There's quite a bit of straight grained maple but it's of the soft, Big
Leaf variety and it isn't as useful as a general wood source as the hard
maples - but when it's curly, burled, fiddled, or quilted it's da bomb.

"Yeah, I made my kid a quilted maple ball bat. So?"

Actually for T-Ball it would probably work out A-OK since the balls are
soft rubber.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Safety Tip'o'th'week: Never grind aluminum and steel or iron on the same
machine or workstation - Thermite.
http://www.hanford.gov/lessons/sitell/ll01/2001-36.htm