toller

wrote in message
oups.com...
someone mentioned to me that in teh newer home people dont use sump
pumps but some other type of mechanism to get water out of the
basement well, and appearantly it doesnt require electricity

If the storm sewer is deep enough you can simply use a drain instead of a
pump. If that were the case for you, it would have been done that way when
the house was built.

I know someone who connected his floor drain to the sanitary sewer, but that
is thoroughly illegal; and wrong to boot.

Water powered pumps are adequate if your need is not great, but the ones I
have used are pretty flimsy and I sure would not want to use them except as
a backup in an emergency. I doubt they would hold up long in heavy use.

The unpowered system I like is to be built on a hillside with walkout
basement I have never had water in the sump in 12 years, while the houses
across the street get pretty serious water.

First i wanted to know what type of mechanism this is, and if i can
install it myself.

Also if i was to have it installed what does it typically cost for a
plumber do it?

im trying to find some sure fire method to prevent floods as i want to
finish my basement and make it into the ULTIMATE game room. and i
cannot afford to have a single flood!

thanks in advance for your help.