James Sweet

"Jim Adney" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 06:20:06 -0400 Darmok
wrote:

FWIW, my circuit box was installed by a certified electrician .. I
simply didn't feel competent to do something on that scale. They
pulled my meter on the side of the house in order to install it.

Perhaps you didn't tell him all of what you had in mind. A good
electrician would have explained the danger, and illegality, of
installing your backup power this way.

The 4KW generator I have (by Coleman) has 2 AC outlets, which, when
measured unloaded, provide 130 VAC. I haven't tried to measure across
the 2 outlets to see if 260 VAC is available, but I suspect that I
will find that is true.

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that you'll find that both outlets
put out the same 130V. There should be a spec plate somewhere on your
generator that gives its output voltage. If it doesn't mention
something above 200 V somewhere, then you have a very straightforward
120V single phase generator.

I suppose I could wire up some kind of cross-over switch by the box on
the side of the house next to my Central A/C compressor unit. That
would be the logical place to bring in 220/240/260 vac.

This transfer switch, what you're calling a cross-over switch, needs
to be inserted in the line between your meter and your breaker box.
It's purpose is to make sure that there is no way that you can ever
connect both the generator and the line to the house, or the generator
to the line. It's for your safety, the safety of anyone working on a
downed line in your service area, and the safety of your generator. It
could also be wired up permanently with a cord which you could safely
plug into your generator when the need arises. You don't EVER want to
have a male plug that can be hot when unplugged.

The transfer switch doesn't go between the meter and the panel, it wires
into the panel and the individual circuits go between the breaker output and
the hot wire to the circuit you wish to have backup power available to.
They're metal boxes with a plug for the generator and a flex whip to wire
into the panel, they start at around $120 for a small one.