Honest John wrote:
Judging by the abuse (in photos and written word) this guy needs to buy a
new G-SHOCK every 5 or 6 years. Leave the delicate Rolexes for the used car
salesmen (as mentioned in another post).

Hi Honest John,

I think you may yet be closer to the chronocentric truth than anyone
else in that all I wanted when I bought my Datejust was an honest
solid, rugged, reliable no-maintenance timepiece which was as
unpretentious (I can't stand gold plated anything!) as humanly
possible.

At the jewelers fifteen years ago, I looked at the Breitlings, Omegas,
Hamiltons, Seikos, even those museum pieces of overpriced crap; and I
soon settled like glue on the unpretentious heavy solid steel and gold
Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust as the watch for the rest of my life
(or so I thought).

In my mind, this was the end of replacing batteries, winding crowns,
broken bands, watchband itch, water-fogged crystals, etc. My use model
was to wear it every day and night - in the hot shower, in the
chlorinated pool, camping in the snow, in welding class, in dancing
class, in skating class, in ground school, in massage class, etc. (I
love learning new things so I'm always taking classes).

Fundamentally, it turned out not to be true that the Rolex was
maintenance free and reliable (in my use model anyway); so, maybe I
should start a new thread asking:

What is the one rugged reliable maintenance free watch I can wear 24/7
for the rest of my natural life which will work in all kinds of
weather, work, and social occasions?

Rusty