Melissa

Melissa wrote:
Our kitchen drywall is done, now time to pick the paint. I understand
we need to use primer first, and it was suggested the primer be
partially? tinted first. We aren't sure what color the kitchen will be
yet, so we should just go with plain off the shelf primer, yes?

The kitchen will be semi gloss like the rest of the house, will that
affect what type of primer I need to get?

And last of all, the room is 31 ft x 9 ft, with 8 ft ceilings, I need to
cover 919 sq ft of walls and ceiling, is that correct? Sorry, I'm sure
that seems obvious, but last time I bought paint, after painting I found
I had 2.5 gallons more than I needed. I've purchased paint for my
family room, with advice from you very helpful guys here, but haven't
yet painted, so don't know if I figured correctly for that room yet. How
much primer will I need to cover 919 sq ft, if I only paint with primer
once, which is what I believe is normal, followed by 2 coats of paint?

Thanks!

Melissa

Thanks again for all the help guys. I've been painting all day, and my
arms are complaining. Painting a ceiling is harder than I expected. We
have a large knock down texture, and it was difficult to get the paint
into all the grooves as it was sucked up so quickly. I did the ceiling
and the walls once, and used about 2.5 gallons of the 3 I bought. Hubby
is going to do the area where the ceiling and walls meet. I honestly
can't lift my arms higher than my chin right now. I bought latex
primer, as I know that washes out of clothes. It says it's for new
walls, and it worked out well. I went ahead with plain white since I
still haven't decided on the wall color. I was worried at first I
wouldn't know if I'd missed places over where they put the drywall mud
since that is white as well, but the primer dried with an ever so slight
blue/grey tinge, so it's easy to spot. I appreciate your patience with
this inexperienced DIY'er.

Melissa