John

Default Buying a Flat - Insurance, Subsidence & Underpinning Questions/Concerns

"Harry Ziman" hziman at clara dot co dot uk wrote in message
"waz" wrote in message
om...
We are in the process of buy a flat, which is in a converted house,
and about 100 years old. There are 4 flats in the block, with the
share of freehold split across them.

As there were 4 flats in the converted house, our surveyor said that a
full structural survey would be very expensive, and almost impossible
to complete, as access to all parts of the building would be
restricted therefore we opted for a homebuyer's survey.

SNIP

..

The bit about the insurance company is very important in my opinion - you
could have problems if you decide to change. You may also find it

difficult
getting insurance.

With regard to value/resale, talk to a valuer or an independent estate

agent
if you know one you can trust, but follow your instincrs at the end of

the
day. You do not have to buy this flat if you don't want to.

In any event you have should wait to see the written report, but it sounds
as if the cracks are only superficial - certainly at the hairline stage
nobody would worry and all the studies next door suggest that the property
has been properly investigated.

I am not a professional or amateur surveyor, but hope these remarks are of
use!

It may not be a bad idea to ask another insurance company if they would take
on the risk of the property to assess the potential problems which "may"
happen in the future. If they won't give cover then you would be well
advised to walk away now.