Andy Hall

Default Wiring Practise Q for dry lining boxes

On Sat, 29 May 2004 20:55:18 +0000 (UTC), "Rick Hughes"
wrote:

I have fitted out all wiring points in a complete new build using dry lining
boxes, (245 of them in total) now coming to 2nd fix and a question arises -
how do I deal with the earths?

For all the socket outlets no problem as the sockets have earth connection
screws, as do grid switches etc.

However for standard switch plates these have no earth connection
screw .... Now there are a couple of things I could do ..

i) simply ignore the earths and cut them off, face plates are insulated as
are boxes so no need to earth.

ii) where there is only one earth wire treat as for i) . where more than
one earth wire, individually sleeves in grn/yellow, twist the ends together
and connect them all in a single insulated choccy block .. Still has no
effect on insulated face plate and box, but at least ensures all earths are
linked.

iii) It is possible to order clip in earth terminals to fit in dry lining
box, but wholesalers don't seem to stock them . but what good does it do
when faceplate & box are insulated.

Any comments form those that know.

I did (ii), simply because at some point a metal wiring accessory (e.g
brass plateswitch) might be used. That will require an earth.

Cut it off as in (i) and you will be stuffed.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl