Harold and Susan Vordos

"Steve Smith" wrote in message
I realize there is such a thing, I just don't see how any significant
amount of it is likely in a bucket of solution with a battery charger on
overnight.

I could be wrong...

Steve

According to those that plate, you are. In a book titled Modern
Electroplating, third edition, published by Wiley Interscience Publication,
it says, on page 42:

"Since hydrogen is produced first in the atomic state, it is readily
absorbed by the basis metal. Steels are more or less susceptible to
embitterment by absorbed hydrogen depending on the analysis and
metallurgical treatment. The nature of the embrittlement is not understood,
but at least in part it is result of interference of the hydrogen atoms with
the normal flow of slip of the lattice planes under stress."

Any heat treated item that is black oxide finished is required to be roasted
to eliminate hydrogen if failure is an issue. Black oxide finished springs
would be a good example. The hydrogen generated by electrolysis in the
black oxide process is more than enough to create a condition that can be
troublesome. I can only assume that tools cleaned by electrolysis, where
there is hydrolysis ( and I assume there is-------you get bubbles, right?)
would be subject to the same conditions.

Hope this helps explain it.

Harold