Will

Default How to clean rusty tools ?

I have a box of old tools... wrenches, screw drivers, sockets, socket wrench
handels, etc.

It is all quite rusty.

What is the best way to clean these tools up and get all the rust off?

thanks for any help - Will

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Steve Koschmann" wrote in message
electrolysis

Although any of the heat treated tools will be subject to hydrogen
embrittlement, and can break easily afterwards as a result. A roast for an
hour or two at roughly 375 degrees F should minimize, if not eliminate, the
hydrogen.

Harold

Grant Erwin

Will wrote:
I have a box of old tools... wrenches, screw drivers, sockets, socket wrench
handels, etc.

It is all quite rusty.

What is the best way to clean these tools up and get all the rust off?

Some tools will respond quite well to just oiling them and rubbing them with a
rag. This often suffices for old wrenches and the like.

If a tool isn't galvanized (few are) they may well like the zinc/lye treatment.
To try this, dissolve a cup or so of lye (you can buy it at the supermarket by
the laundry soap) in water, and dissolve as much zinc as it will eat. Many small
castings are made of zinc (pot metal) like lamp bases, auto mirror supports,
stuff like that. Most houses have some broken pot metal bits around. Anyway,
once the zinc is dissolved in the lye, put in your rusty tools. Wear gloves and
eye protection, lye is certain to blind you if it gets in your eye. After a day
or two, remove your tools and rinse them in very hot water, hot enough so they
self-dry within 60 seconds, then oil them. The zinc is higher on the galvanic
scale than iron, so the iron oxide turns into zinc oxide chemically. This works
very well on galvanized bits you want to weld up too, if you don't want to
monkey with extracting zinc fumes.

Beyond that, google on electrolytic derusting. If you have a car battery charger
it's easy.

GWE
Gary

I've had good luck on surface rust using WD-40 and Scotchbrite. Spray
and rub. It won't remove deep pits but then nothing else will either.

73 Gary

RAM^3

"Will" wrote in
:

I have a box of old tools... wrenches, screw drivers, sockets, socket
wrench handels, etc.

It is all quite rusty.

What is the best way to clean these tools up and get all the rust off?

thanks for any help - Will

If you have a pressure washer, you might want to start out with it. [See
the recent thread on this. G]

Before beginning other methods, soak the metal parts in Brake Cleaner -
this will get off a lot of the old grease (if any) and make the OTHER
treatment(s) more effective.

As others have said, Electrolysis is the easy way and there have been
recent threads, here, with full descriptions, formulations, and
instructions.

BTW, don't be too surprised if chrome plating comes off in sheets - once
started, rust can form UNDER it...
Mungo Bulge

somebody once told me he used NAVAL Gel on old tools then sold them on
E-Bay. I don't know, but it worked good for me on my father's tools,
which if rusty were my fault.
Shawn
--
The Road Warrior Hobbit
"Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...
| I've had good luck on surface rust using WD-40 and Scotchbrite.
Spray
| and rub. It won't remove deep pits but then nothing else will
either.

| 73 Gary

athos76

If any are Snap-on, Craftsman or Mac... just trade them in for new
ones.... LIFETIME GUARANTEE

T.Alan Kraus

Will wrote:
I have a box of old tools... wrenches, screw drivers, sockets, socket wrench
handels, etc.

It is all quite rusty.

What is the best way to clean these tools up and get all the rust off?

thanks for any help - Will

My son put a bunch of old flea market tools into a bucket with some
waste oil and was going to clean 'em off after a few weeks. I don't
quite know what was in the waste oil bucket, I suspect old diesel, some
crankcase oil from a bike, maybe a bit of brake fluid. Well the bucket
stayed out all winter and filled with rainwater even so it was under a
tarp. Recently we were cleaning up and I found the bucket almost full to
the top, with a deep layer of dark oily stuff on top, so I stuck a hose
to the bottom of the bucket and syphoned off as much rainwater as
possible. The tools came out all covered in milky brown goo and when
cleaned I was amazed to see very little rust, some where actually in
pretty good shape. I can't explain the chemistry, I was expecting a lot
more rust due to the rain water.

cheers
T.Alan
Steve W.

Wander to your local horse supply place and buy a 50 pound bag of
Molasses Granules. Find or make a tank large enough to hold the tools
with some extra room. (dollar stores sell these tanks as "storage
containers") Put the tank outside under cover (plastic cover that was
included is OK, outside so that your house doesn't smell when your done)
Put tools in container, now mix the Molasses granules with water with
about a 1:4 ratio (1 cup M to 4 cups W / 1 gallon M to 4 gallons W)
stronger is OK but you don't want it to thick or pasty. Let tools set
in slurry for a day. Open container and stir entire mix so that tools
move around and cover back up. Repeat for 5 days. Pull a few tools every
day and see how they are cooking. The rust will dissolve off and they
will have an ugly black film that washes off. Once clean use a light
machine oil to give the tools a LIGHT film coat. Or for plain steel
tools use some bluing solution and blue them.

DO NOT do this inside. The smell of the molasses will make you get a
serious case of munchies and it lingers for weeks......

--
Steve Williams

"Will" wrote in message
.. .
I have a box of old tools... wrenches, screw drivers, sockets, socket

wrench
handels, etc.

It is all quite rusty.

What is the best way to clean these tools up and get all the rust off?

thanks for any help - Will

SteveB

wrote in message
oups.com...
There is no one correct answer. I would probably start with a wire
wheel on a bench grinder.

Dan

In my estimation, that would remove about ten times as much surface metal as
would be necessary. I would try the electrolysis, and only remove a little
in the rusty areas. And, I don't know about you, but I have trouble fitting
a 6 or 8 inch brush into tight places.

I think a wheel on a bench grinder is serious overkill. Unless you don't
care how they come out looking, that is.

YMMV

Steve

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
T.Alan Kraus wrote:

[ ... ]

My son put a bunch of old flea market tools into a bucket with some
waste oil and was going to clean 'em off after a few weeks. I don't

[ ... ]

possible. The tools came out all covered in milky brown goo and when
cleaned I was amazed to see very little rust, some where actually in
pretty good shape. I can't explain the chemistry, I was expecting a lot
more rust due to the rain water.

I think that the thick film of oil on the top restricted the
amount of oxygen dissolved in the water, asn it could not be replaced fy
contact with the air. This will put a serious limitation on the amount
of rust which can form.

Now, if you had been bubbling air from a hose through it all
that time, I think that you would have been a lot worse off.

The goo, however, probably acted as a secondary layer of
protection.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Mungo Bulge

http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/For...rittlement.htm

"Steve Smith" wrote in message
| Can you offer an explanation of how the hydrogen gets below the
surface?
| It sounds improbable there would be much penetration.
|
| Thanks,
| Steve
|
| Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
|
| "Steve Koschmann" wrote in message
|

| electrolysis
|

| Although any of the heat treated tools will be subject to hydrogen
| embrittlement, and can break easily afterwards as a result. A
roast for an
| hour or two at roughly 375 degrees F should minimize, if not
eliminate, the
| hydrogen.
|
| Harold

Steve Smith

I realize there is such a thing, I just don't see how any significant
amount of it is likely in a bucket of solution with a battery charger on
overnight.

I could be wrong...

Steve

Mungo Bulge wrote:

http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/For...rittlement.htm

"Steve Smith" wrote in message
| Can you offer an explanation of how the hydrogen gets below the
surface?
| It sounds improbable there would be much penetration.
|
| Thanks,
| Steve
|
| Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
|
| "Steve Koschmann" wrote in message
|

| electrolysis
|

| Although any of the heat treated tools will be subject to hydrogen
| embrittlement, and can break easily afterwards as a result. A
roast for an
| hour or two at roughly 375 degrees F should minimize, if not
eliminate, the
| hydrogen.
|
| Harold

Leo Lichtman

"Will" wrote: (clip) best way to clean these tools up and get all the rust
off?(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have a gallon of something called "Evaporust," from Orison Marketing,
Abilene, Texas. I got the information from one of the newsgroups, possibly
here, and found it to be very easy to use and effective at removing rust. I
dipped a rusted 12" steel scale half-way in the liquid, and a few hours
later that half was cleaned down to solid gray steel. I am not connected
with the company--just sharing what I know.

Vince Iorio

Will,

This stuff is great! The best part is it works into areas that you can
not get to with any other method. I had 2 drill chucks that were rusted
closed and I could free them up with this stuff. It is not cheap. 5
gallons cost me $103, but then again it is no more expensive then good
paint or deck preservative.

http://www.orisonmarketing.com/corro...vapo-rust.html

Vince

Will wrote:

I have a box of old tools... wrenches, screw drivers, sockets, socket wrench
handels, etc.

It is all quite rusty.

What is the best way to clean these tools up and get all the rust off?

thanks for any help - Will

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Steve Smith" wrote in message
I realize there is such a thing, I just don't see how any significant
amount of it is likely in a bucket of solution with a battery charger on
overnight.

I could be wrong...

Steve

According to those that plate, you are. In a book titled Modern
Electroplating, third edition, published by Wiley Interscience Publication,
it says, on page 42:

"Since hydrogen is produced first in the atomic state, it is readily
absorbed by the basis metal. Steels are more or less susceptible to
embitterment by absorbed hydrogen depending on the analysis and
metallurgical treatment. The nature of the embrittlement is not understood,
but at least in part it is result of interference of the hydrogen atoms with
the normal flow of slip of the lattice planes under stress."

Any heat treated item that is black oxide finished is required to be roasted
to eliminate hydrogen if failure is an issue. Black oxide finished springs
would be a good example. The hydrogen generated by electrolysis in the
black oxide process is more than enough to create a condition that can be
troublesome. I can only assume that tools cleaned by electrolysis, where
there is hydrolysis ( and I assume there is-------you get bubbles, right?)
would be subject to the same conditions.

Hope this helps explain it.

Harold

Grant Erwin

Steve, Harold was referring to an acid soak, not electrolytic derusting, I
believe. - GWE

Mungo Bulge wrote:

http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/For...rittlement.htm

"Steve Smith" wrote in message
| Can you offer an explanation of how the hydrogen gets below the
surface?
| It sounds improbable there would be much penetration.
|
| Thanks,
| Steve
|
| Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
|
| "Steve Koschmann" wrote in message
|

| electrolysis
|

| Although any of the heat treated tools will be subject to hydrogen
| embrittlement, and can break easily afterwards as a result. A
roast for an
| hour or two at roughly 375 degrees F should minimize, if not
eliminate, the
| hydrogen.
|
| Harold

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Steve, Harold was referring to an acid soak, not electrolytic derusting, I
believe. - GWE

No---it's something that occurs when you generate hydrogen, regardless of
the procedure. It's all to do with the metals affinity for hydrogen, and
the fact that you're releasing it abundantly. If, in the process of
cleaning electrolytically, you get bubbles, you're releasing hydrogen. Heat
treated tools should receive a roast afterwards to insure they don't break
when used. It's easily done in the kitchen oven. 375 degrees for a
couple hours insures the tool is stable.

Harold

Gunner

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:32:15 -0400, Steve Smith
wrote:

Thanks for the explanation Harold. It just seemed so unlikely.

Steve

So does the fact that 9lb babies can come out of "there"... but its
true none the less G

Gunner

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message

Steve, Harold was referring to an acid soak, not electrolytic derusting, I
believe. - GWE

No---it's something that occurs when you generate hydrogen, regardless of
the procedure. It's all to do with the metals affinity for hydrogen, and
the fact that you're releasing it abundantly. If, in the process of
cleaning electrolytically, you get bubbles, you're releasing hydrogen. Heat
treated tools should receive a roast afterwards to insure they don't break
when used. It's easily done in the kitchen oven. 375 degrees for a
couple hours insures the tool is stable.

Harold

for torturing the cat." Gunner

jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

So does the fact that 9lb babies can come out of "there"... but its
true none the less G

I saw this happen. I still can't believe it.

Jim

please reply to:

jim rozen

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

I saw this happen. I still can't believe it.

Uh huh!

Harold

My daughter's 16 now. She just got her driving permit, she's
going to be a junior in HS next year. Colleges are sending
her literature.

But I still can't get over the Dr. caching her on the fly,
like with a catcher's mitt. Also the fact that my wife
had no drugs, and the first thing she wanted the next day
was breakfast, not painkillers. The next thing she wanted
was irish whisky!

Women are just tougher than men. It's obvious to me.

Jim

please reply to:
Harold and Susan Vordos

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Harold and Susan Vordos

says...

I saw this happen. I still can't believe it.

Uh huh!

Harold

My daughter's 16 now. She just got her driving permit, she's
going to be a junior in HS next year. Colleges are sending
her literature.

All too cool, Jim. Looks like you folks did good.

But I still can't get over the Dr. caching her on the fly,
like with a catcher's mitt. Also the fact that my wife
had no drugs, and the first thing she wanted the next day
was breakfast, not painkillers. The next thing she wanted
was irish whisky!

And she wanted Irish whisky? That's one damned good woman, Jim.
I was the ex did. I'm not cut out for such things!

Women are just tougher than men. It's obvious to me.

And me.in the delivery room with my ex when she gave birth to my daughter,
way back in '63. I required far more attention that

Harold

jim rozen

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

But I still can't get over the Dr. caching her on the fly,
like with a catcher's mitt. Also the fact that my wife
had no drugs, and the first thing she wanted the next day
was breakfast, not painkillers. The next thing she wanted
was irish whisky!

And she wanted Irish whisky? That's one damned good woman, Jim.

She had terrible heartburn. The first thing she wanted was
breakfast and a cup of coffee. She was unable to drink coffee
for the last months of the pregnancy on account of the heartburn.
It was too learly but the staff went downstairs and rustled her
up some grub.

I brought her a bottle of jamesons that afternoon, that was next
on the list. She didn't drink any alcohol during the pregnancy
so she kinda missed it.

Jim

please reply to:

Harold and Susan Vordos

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

But I still can't get over the Dr. caching her on the fly,
like with a catcher's mitt. Also the fact that my wife
had no drugs, and the first thing she wanted the next day
was breakfast, not painkillers. The next thing she wanted
was irish whisky!

And she wanted Irish whisky? That's one damned good woman, Jim.

She had terrible heartburn. The first thing she wanted was
breakfast and a cup of coffee. She was unable to drink coffee
for the last months of the pregnancy on account of the heartburn.

Having suffered for years with helicobacter pylori bacteria, and a bleeding
ulcer, I can sympathize with the heartburn. Unless you've lived through
endless days of that kind of inconvenience, I'm not sure anyone can
understand the agony.

I brought her a bottle of jamesons that afternoon, that was next
on the list. She didn't drink any alcohol during the pregnancy
so she kinda missed it.

That I fully understand. I'm not a big drinker, but there's nothing quite
so satisfying as the occasional scotch and water. I don't even drink 'em
stiff, maybe an ounce in an old fashion glass, filled with ice and water.
I went years without the pleasure of sipping one.

For the 4th or 5th time, I took the antibiotic cure for the bacteria
infestation about two years ago, but this time it was with two antibiotics
in tandem, along with the mandatory bismuth and antihistamine, as
prescribed. I've enjoyed the best stomach conditions in years since then.
All previous treatments slowed down the condition, but it was quick to
return.

By the way, I'm happy with almost anything---Canadian, scotch or Irish,
makes little difference to me. Single malt or blended, all are good as far
as I'm concerned.

Harold

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 10:37:33 -0700, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

Having suffered for years with helicobacter pylori bacteria, and a bleeding
ulcer, I can sympathize with the heartburn. Unless you've lived through
endless days of that kind of inconvenience, I'm not sure anyone can
understand the agony.

Been there, done that. Well, the heartburn - my cause was mechanical,
not viral. Puking blood really gets one's attention, y'know? Surgery
(Nissen fundoplication) did wonders, no heartburn or meds since.

For the 4th or 5th time, I took the antibiotic cure for the bacteria
infestation about two years ago, but this time it was with two antibiotics
in tandem, along with the mandatory bismuth and antihistamine, as
prescribed. I've enjoyed the best stomach conditions in years since then.

Excellent to know that they've got it figured out now.

By the way, I'm happy with almost anything---Canadian, scotch or Irish,
makes little difference to me. Single malt or blended, all are good as far
as I'm concerned.

I like a nice single-malt Scotch, but right now I"m between Scotches and
am working through a bottle of Knob Creek bourbon for the next few
months.

jim rozen

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

Having suffered for years with helicobacter pylori bacteria, and a bleeding
ulcer, I can sympathize with the heartburn. Unless you've lived through
endless days of that kind of inconvenience, I'm not sure anyone can
understand the agony.

Her heartburn was purely caused by a parasitic infestation.
After the delivery, the cure was instantaneous, and complete!

:^)

Jim

please reply to:
Dave Hinz

On 22 Jul 2005 12:30:41 -0700, jim rozen wrote:
In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

Having suffered for years with helicobacter pylori bacteria, and a bleeding
ulcer, I can sympathize with the heartburn. Unless you've lived through
endless days of that kind of inconvenience, I'm not sure anyone can
understand the agony.

Her heartburn was purely caused by a parasitic infestation.
After the delivery, the cure was instantaneous, and complete!

Ah, so it was a _sexually transmitted_ parasitic infestation, to boot.

Unknown

wrote:

,;In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...
,;
,;Having suffered for years with helicobacter pylori bacteria, and a bleeding
,;ulcer, I can sympathize with the heartburn. Unless you've lived through
,;endless days of that kind of inconvenience, I'm not sure anyone can
,;understand the agony.
,;
,;Her heartburn was purely caused by a parasitic infestation.
,;After the delivery, the cure was instantaneous, and complete!

Unfortunately none of the posters here were intelligent enough to
recognize that the thread was drifting off topic.

DRIFTING??????? Holly ****. Not even close to having anything to deal
with rusty tools.

Harold and Susan Vordos

wrote:

,;In article , Harold and Susan Vordos

says...
,;
,;Having suffered for years with helicobacter pylori bacteria, and a

bleeding
,;ulcer, I can sympathize with the heartburn. Unless you've lived

through
,;endless days of that kind of inconvenience, I'm not sure anyone can
,;understand the agony.
,;
,;Her heartburn was purely caused by a parasitic infestation.
,;After the delivery, the cure was instantaneous, and complete!

Unfortunately none of the posters here were intelligent enough to
recognize that the thread was drifting off topic.

DRIFTING??????? Holly ****. Not even close to having anything to deal
with rusty tools.

Holly ****? Does it, really? g

Hell no, we haven't drifted off topic. Jim clearly stated that the
infestation was from a parasitic infestation. I can't help but think he
meant from a rusty tool (although mine never has rusted. Limp, maybe, but
not rusted)........ Jim?

Harold

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
snip---

I like a nice single-malt Scotch, but right now I"m between Scotches and
am working through a bottle of Knob Creek bourbon for the next few
months.

Can't say as though I'm familiar with Knob Creek, but I can't help but
believe I'd be able to choke it down!

Harold

jim rozen

In article , Dave Hinz says...

Ah, so it was a _sexually transmitted_ parasitic infestation, to boot.

LOL. Anyone who's ever spent time with a lady in the 9th month
of pregnancy will realize they'd rather be anywhere else, doing
anything else, suffering from anything else.

Jim

please reply to:
Ed Rinehart

Dave Hinz wrote:

On 22 Jul 2005 12:30:41 -0700, jim rozen wrote:

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

Having suffered for years with helicobacter pylori bacteria, and a bleeding
ulcer, I can sympathize with the heartburn. Unless you've lived through
endless days of that kind of inconvenience, I'm not sure anyone can
understand the agony.

Her heartburn was purely caused by a parasitic infestation.
After the delivery, the cure was instantaneous, and complete!

Ah, so it was a _sexually transmitted_ parasitic infestation, to boot.

Until now, I was wondering what this had to with cleaning rusty tools.

Ed R
Gunner

wrote:

,;In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...
,;
,;Having suffered for years with helicobacter pylori bacteria, and a bleeding
,;ulcer, I can sympathize with the heartburn. Unless you've lived through
,;endless days of that kind of inconvenience, I'm not sure anyone can
,;understand the agony.
,;
,;Her heartburn was purely caused by a parasitic infestation.
,;After the delivery, the cure was instantaneous, and complete!

Unfortunately none of the posters here were intelligent enough to
recognize that the thread was drifting off topic.

DRIFTING??????? Holly ****. Not even close to having anything to deal
with rusty tools.

You say that, like it was a bad thing.

What more could be said? It was pretty well covered in the first part
of the thread

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown