Frank Adam

On 18 Jul 2005 16:31:49 -0700, wrote:

When I first bought this used Rolex, it didn't keep good time (losing
perhaps a minute a day). I opened the back simply by using a small
flathead screwdriver in the notches, twisting out the normal way. I was

Um, i'd be extremely surprised if you could open a properly tightened
Rolex Oyster with a "small" screwdriver. You could probably chisel it
open but the damage to the case back would be severe.

Then one summer, I went swimming in a volcano in Greece (Thira) and the
sulphur got inside somehow and gummed it all up. That's when I had the
$800 repair. I haven't opened it since then because I'm told it's been
sealed with Argon gas. Is that true?

No.

My point is, the case can be opened with a screwdriver but I prefer to
use the correct tool (so I'll check out the wonderful link you provided
above); but I'm asking an ancilliary question of alt.horology ... which
is...

Once opened ...
Q: Does the Rolex need to be sealed in a special gas environment?

No, except for air for the person present. ;-)

--

Regards, Frank