Geoff M

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 21:42:32 -0400, Bob Chilcoat wrote:

I'm building a large wine cellar in the basement, and would like to make it
reasonably fire resistant, since there will be a valuable inventory in
there. A proper steel (metal content) fire door and frame, new, from Home
Despot is around $300. What are my chances of finding one from a building
that's being gutted, or from a building materials salvage dealer in the NYC
area? Any suggestions? Thanks

Shodl be able to. Fire doors are made as a set, with the door, closer, lock
and frame made and tested as a unit. There is usually a plate on the door
edge with it's fire rating (minutes resistance to a "standard" fire). The
rating of the door has to match or exceed that of the walls surrounding the
room. Most also have brush seals to keep smoke out of the room - a good
idea in this case to stop smoke damage.
The walls of the room will ahve to be fire rated - light framing with fire
gypsum board (Type X board IIRC in the US) will do. Read and follow the
instructions of the manufactuers regarding framing, installation and
stopping - it is important if you want it to work. Stop and seal all the
penetrations, like cable holes as well.
You could always plumb in some sprinkler heads as well...

Geoff