On 18 Jul 2005 17:03:04 -0700, graced this
newsgroup with:

Q: How can I determine the year & model for a classic Rolex watch?

I bought a used pre-sapphire Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust
Chronometer for about $1800 from a New York jeweler in the early
nineties and I'm just wondering what it is worth. I'm sure that depends
on its age and specific model.

Currently, the most classic of watches is lying in my "to be fixed"
drawer because my kid dropped the watch on the cement a couple of years
ago and the previous repairs ($300 for an adjustment, $800 for a
complete overhaul) are still fresh on my mind as being overly
expensive.

I'm thinking of sending this classic watch in for repair IF (and this
is the reason for the question) if I can then sell it for a reasonable
price thereafter. But what is it worth?

I did a search and found vastly divergent prices ... depending partly
on the model and year - which is why I ask this question of you
experts.

Where do I look to determine the model and year (or other pertinent
information) in a classic Rolex stainless steel & gold Oyster Perpetual
Datejust (just the number, not the day of the week) chronometer?

My only value datapoint was when I walked into a pawn shop in Texas a
few years ago (I had never even 'seen' a pawn shop until I went to
Texas - I thought they were just in the gangster movies) and handed it
to the guy just to see what he'd say it was worth; he took off the band
and looked up the number he found on the crown at that spot and said
sweetly "I'll give you $500 for this" (which is exactly when I realized
that everything in a pawn shop must be stolen because nobody would part
with their Rolex watch for that low a price unless they stole it in the
first place).

So, I can dig up that serial number.
But, then what do I do with that number?

Go to an authorized Rolex repair shop. The serial number is stamped
inside the watch. They'll be able to open it up and cross reference
the number and probably give you an idea of it's worth. Both before
and after repair. They'll also be able to give you an idea of its
age.