DoN. Nichols

In article .com,
wrote:
"There should be approx 1/8'-3/16" gap"
There is no gap and I the 2nd closer I borrowed is even worse. I'm
wondering now how to get that flange off and thinking maybe I could
make a spacer to go behind it.

On mine, it is bored to slide over the lathe spindle, and is
then held with setscrews. a spacer there is probably not practical.

The options which I see (and suggested in the middle of my
longer reply earlier) a

1) Make a new flange which is longer. (Probably require heat
treating capability.

or

2) Make a spacer washer to go around the drawbar tube to live
between the lever arms and the flange. You probably want to
make this out of a good steel, and to harden and surface grind
it -- but you could make up a quick-and-dirty one to try with
just mild steel, and turning.

3) Shorten the drawbar -- which requires a way to de-attach it
from the rest of the mechanism while you mount it in a chuck to
part off the excess length, and (probably) bore the ID a little
deeper and pick up the existing thread to extend it.

This is about the only solution we can
do with the equipment available.

You have a lathe, obviously. It proably has a 3-jaw or 4-jaw
chuck. With those, option 2 should be possible at a minimum. It will
get you in service, though every time you remove the drawbar assembly
you will have to be careful to not lose the spacer.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564