jim rozen

In article .com,
says...

"I really wish you had a camera." We now have a camera and it should
be able to put something on web. What do you want to see?

OK I took a good look at my hardinge closers this weekend.

Basically the sliding mechanism is more or less cone-shaped,
and there are three fingers which bear on the cone.

The fingers are "L" shaped and pivot on the body of the
closer. The short arm of the Ls are visible inside the
right hand side of the closer body as three small tabs which
extend outwards from the body of the closer slightly as the
sliding mechanism is shifted to the left.

Those three tabs bear on the flat surface of the detent wheel
that is on the end of the drawbar tube - the detents that
accept the single latch to hold the collet setting.

So the idea is the lever is shifted to the left, and the
profile of the cone-shaped part extends the tabs out to
apply draw force to the drawbar. The cone's profile is
flat at the final region, so it will hold a tension setting
there.

The draw force on the bar tightens the collet into the spindle
nose and retains the part.

Which part is not working correctly?

1) does the sliding mechanism not slide?

2) do the tabs not extend outwards to tension the drawbar?

3) is the drawbar simply too long to allow the collet to thread
in all the way and tension up?

There's not that much to go wrong, there should be a setting on
the rotary handwheel that gives the correct 'snap' as the
fingers go overcenter on the cone.

Jim

please reply to: