FDR

"Melissa" wrote in message
Our kitchen drywall is done, now time to pick the paint. I understand we
need to use primer first, and it was suggested the primer be partially?
tinted first. We aren't sure what color the kitchen will be yet, so we
should just go with plain off the shelf primer, yes?

Usually you will get a tinted primer that the manufacturer says will result
in the truest color after painting. However, if you don't know then white
primer will do. I believe youd use a latex primer for surfaces that will be
painted with latex.

The kitchen will be semi gloss like the rest of the house, will that
affect what type of primer I need to get?

And last of all, the room is 31 ft x 9 ft, with 8 ft ceilings, I need to
cover 919 sq ft of walls and ceiling, is that correct? Sorry, I'm sure
that seems obvious, but last time I bought paint, after painting I found I
had 2.5 gallons more than I needed. I've purchased paint for my family
room, with advice from you very helpful guys here, but haven't yet
painted, so don't know if I figured correctly for that room yet. How much
primer will I need to cover 919 sq ft, if I only paint with primer once,
which is what I believe is normal, followed by 2 coats of paint?

Thanks!

Melissa

The paint store should be able to tell you, or the paint can should say.
Always get a little more though.