Ken Moon

"Prometheus" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 10:40:13 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

SNIP..............
I like them to be a little snug, but I try to recall the reasons
behind frame-and-panel furniture construction, even with stuff from
the lathe. So the lid has a "step" that allows it to sit properly,
even if one or both of the components strink or expand.

That's not exactly true. If you do the lid and lower box part from the same
piece, there's a good chance they'll expand and contract together, but the
mass of the lid also has a lot to do with a continuing snug fit. If you
hollow the inside of the lid so it leaves a "hollow tenon" that fis down
inside the box, then there's an even better chance of a continuing fit. A
hole in the center of the top for a glued in finial will also reduce
stresses on the lid reducing chances of cracking. Every little bit helps.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.