Dave wrote: "As for the Areas where the
branches come out, that may be the prettiest wood you've got for
bowls.
Crotchwood is where you get the flame. This is REALLY pretty when you
cut it the right direction and finish it properly. The down side is
that walnut is a nasty wood as are most pretty woods. WEAR a good
mask
as well as eye protection."

Dave, you're right about the crotchwood having the prettiest grain.
Here's a black walnut, 19 1/2" platter I turned from that wood. (sure
hope this link works!)
http://geocities.com/mnlniles/ebay/walnutplatter.jpg It came out so
beautiful, I think it's a keeper until I turn something better.

Nic, Dave is also right about the down side, many people develop an
alergy to walnut and the dust is the culprit. Luckily I've never had
a reaction and I've been turning black walnut for 15 years, albeit not
a lot of it. As to your having a "fortune", yes, IF you had a lot more
and was going to board it for re-sale (ala lumber yard quantity). I
believe a lot of turners have found there are only a few items you can
turn that will sell (if you sell your work). In the past few years
I'll only take crotchwood because, of the 4 galleries/shops that sell
my work none do very well with it. For some reason people like
light-color wood for bowls and platters, perhaps something to do with
food and dark wood? I have a few pictures on my website turnings pages
that are black walnut.

Happy Turning,
Ruth
www.torne-lignum.com