MrC1

Personally I stay away from Fram. They use a paper (cardboard?) backing
inside the filter that often blows out and then allows all dirty oil to
bypass the filter media. They also have a very poor anti-drainback valve
made from molded plastic that very often leaks. This leak results in an air
pocket in the filter, greatly increasing the time it takes to get oil moving
at startup. I did some serious damage to some rod bearings in a previous
vehicle before I figured out what was causing the problem.

AC Delco, Wix, Motorcraft, Puralator and others seem to be much better
built. I normally go with the "Powerflo" filters, which are Puralators with
a different paint job for $2!

"arizona" wrote in message
FRAM's regular oil filters have won the Consumer Reports test for as far
back as I can remember.

they do a great test of performance using the medium size particles that

do
all the damage to an engine

(small particles get inside bearing & ring clearances in pairs and spin

off
each other like ball bearings, do very little engine damage, and big
particles are too big to enter ring or bearing clearances and do no

damage)

the FRAM filter that consistently spanks all other filters, is $2.99 at
Wal-Mart, how can you beat that?

"Vic Dura" wrote in message
Anyone have any opinions as to whether or not full-flow oil filters in
passenger cars are worth the extra price?