Bill Rubenstein

If your butt log is 18" at the small end, and if the bark is about 1"
thick, then the log will probably yield about 110 bf gross. If you lose
footage to limbs and such (and it seems you will), your actual yield
will be considerably less. To calculate -- take a look at
http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/calcu...tor=log_volume.
Doyle scale is the one usually used in the US, I think.

Also remember that by the time the planks are dry enough for a furniture
project, you will lose an additional 7% or so to shrinkage.

Bill

Dave in Fairfax wrote:
SHOOTER1 wrote:

I just received a black walnut tree trunk that is 18"D x 12' L. I am
planning to have it cut into plank except for the areas that the limbs
branched from. Because of the grain patterns I "think" this would be the
best way to go. I also received the rest of the tree (limbs & branches),
however these were cut into varied lengths from about 12" to 18" and have
diameters from about 2" to 10". I have been told that I have a small
fortune in wood here. I really am not concerned about that, I am more
worried about how to preserve it. The tree was downed about a week prior to
my getting it.
I am new to turning and would appreciate any suggestions.

Congratulations! BW is a gorgeous wood and turns very easily. Do you
have a Chainsaw and a Bandsaw? You can do this w/o the BS, but it's
much easier if you have one. First thing, and I mean today, get some
anchorseal, or other endgrain sealer from your local Woodcraft or other
local woodworking specialty store. Paint EVERY endgrain surface
immediately and get the wood out of the sun and elelments. Off the
ground and under a tarp at the very least. that buys you the time to
get Bill Gumbine's video from http://www.wonderfulwood.com/ which'll
show you haw to pricess the logs into bowls. As for the Areas where the
branches come out, that may be the prettiest wood you've got for bowls.
Crotchwood is where you get the flame. This is REALLY pretty when you
cut it the right direction and finish it properly. The down side is
that walnut is a nasty wood as are most pretty woods. WEAR a good mask
as well as eye protection. Last suggestion is look at my sig line,
follow the AAW link to the local chapters area and join both groups.
You'll find a bunch of people who love to help newbies learn to turn.
It'll save you from picking up bad habits and speed up you learning
curve in a big way. Get the video.

Dave in Fairfax