Joseph Meehan

Pagan wrote:
"Walter R." wrote in message
I want to identify a circuit breaker for a disconnected stove in my
main panel (looks like # 6 red and black wires). This is a large
house and the main panel is a maze of wires and breakers (200 A
service).

How can I tell which breaker controls this particular circuit? Can I
just turn off the main switch, short-circuit the wires, and turn the
main on again? Will this damage the Main breaker?

It might just burn down your house, or seriously damage your wiring.
Best not to short circuit anything.

Thanks for your help

To find a circuit the cheap and easy way, find a friend, plug a light
in the socket, and have your friend tell you when it goes on (or off)
when you flip the breakers or pull the fuses, one at a time of course.

Or if you don't have a friend, use a radio turned up loud. BTW either
way always turn it back on to verify it, then off again. I was once
depending on this idea and had the light bulb burn out at the wrong time.
It was interesting and it taught me to always double check.

No light, or it's a 220v circuit, you can do the same thing, but
instead use a tester, which can be bought for about $10 at Sears.
It's the size of a thick pen, and there are no contacts. You simply
hold it close to the socket, and when there's power running to it, it
lights up and beeps. This is also a good tool to verify a circuit is
dead before fiddling with it, in case you need to replace a switch or
a socket in the future.

If this is an old house, and/or you don't know exactly what you are
doing, I strongly recommend you find an experienced electrician to do
your electrical work. It is depressingly easy to get thrown across
the room or killed.

Pagan

--
Joseph Meehan